Thread: Midwifery - is it very obstetric lead?

Smile Midwifery - is it very obstetric lead?

Hi all I am new to here and was just after some information I am currently a student midwife here in the UK and am really looking to come over after I finish and am qualified! I know it will be best to stay here and gain some experience before I do I just wanted some information about the job role in New Zealand! Here in the UK I love being able to be the lead role in a delivery and was wondering if this is how it is in NZ or is it very obstetric lead, and the midwife is much more of a maternity nurse? Also how would anyone be able to recommend any good contacts who I should get in contact with to give me some idea of job opportunities?
    I would be very grateful for any information!
    Thank you!
    Sophie

Quote Originally Posted by sophiejane1990 View Post
    Hi all I am new to here and was just after some information I am currently a student midwife here in the UK and am really looking to come over after I finish and am qualified! I know it will be best to stay here and gain some experience before I do I just wanted some information about the job role in New Zealand! Here in the UK I love being able to be the lead role in a delivery and was wondering if this is how it is in NZ or is it very obstetric lead, and the midwife is much more of a maternity nurse? Also how would anyone be able to recommend any good contacts who I should get in contact with to give me some idea of job opportunities?
    I would be very grateful for any information!
    Thank you!
    Sophie
    Hi I am a midwife here in Northland and came from the uk. Northland is quite m/w led b ut you may find only having remnants of care as the LMC,S take theirown women. No problem coming here as a newly qualified midwife either. Best place for job opportunities is to go onto the NZDHB sites. All vacanices are listed separately under the different boards. Like anywhere the places with the most vacanices are often in hard to staff areas. Pm me if you wish for more info.

I'm a midwifery student here in NZ. There is a process for obtaining registration that many UK midwives seem to do relatively smoothly. It depends where you are and what kind of work you want to do (hospital or independant) but I find midwives to have a strong role and only involve doctors if there is something abnormal or worrisome.

Kerri

Default Studying midwifery

I don't know how to pm, but I saw your post and I'd love to ask you a question. I have five children, two born in a hospital one born in the car and two born at home. I love babies, love childbirth (I'm one of these very few and very blessed women who have little to no pain). Over the years I've come to the conclusion that I really should have been a midwife, I am wondering how old is too old to realistically study midwifery? It would be an impossibility here in Ireland, but when we move...

Quote Originally Posted by kerrijeansmith View Post
    I'm a midwifery student here in NZ. There is a process for obtaining registration that many UK midwives seem to do relatively smoothly. It depends where you are and what kind of work you want to do (hospital or independant) but I find midwives to have a strong role and only involve doctors if there is something abnormal or worrisome.

Kerri

Sorry I didn't see this until now. I am in my mid-thirties and their are students of all ages and life stages in our classes. I don't think any time is too late to be honest. Traditionally midwives have been the community's wise grannies! The most important thing is having fantastic and understanding childcare like a live-in Nanny or stay at home Dad or kids that are old enough to be self-sufficient for a few hours here and there.

Kerri

Thank you Kerri,

My eldest is nearly twelve and we homeschool so it's definitely a possibility. It would need a lot of thought and consideration, though, it's a huge commitment. I loved the midwife I had for my last baby. I come from a peninsula, and Joyce was exactly what you described - she knew my mum, my grannies, was so involved with everything in the community - you didn't need to explain everything to her - she just got it, and that's what made the difference. Thanks for your advice. I hope it's all going great for you.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by kerrijeansmith View Post
    Sorry I didn't see this until now. I am in my mid-thirties and their are students of all ages and life stages in our classes. I don't think any time is too late to be honest. Traditionally midwives have been the community's wise grannies! The most important thing is having fantastic and understanding childcare like a live-in Nanny or stay at home Dad or kids that are old enough to be self-sufficient for a few hours here and there.

Kerri

started own thread
    Last edited by Rai; 10th May 2013 at 03:05 AM.