Thread: IT SMC but no degree

Default IT SMC but no degree

Hi All

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction, I have 3+ years work experience in NZ as a senior software developer, I also have a Level 5 diploma from Learning Post NZ.

When I look at the requirements for Long Term Skill Shortage List it says I need 3 years AND a Level 7 degree.

But at the same time ANZSCO says I need vendor qualifications AND/OR 5 years experience.

What criteria does immigration use? does ANZSCO override the LTSSL requirements? or do I have to now go study and get a level 7 degree, which seems ridiculous to tick a box...

Any ideas?

I'll worked in IT for a little longer than three years and I don't have a degree. While I couldn't claim additional points for LTSSL, NZIS we happy to accept my HNC.

Check the points you'll get without the LTSSL and see if you get enough to be selected.

Thanks, I just found http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/...employment.htm it says to be classified as 'skilled employment' you need to meet either the ANZSCO or LTSSL requirements

ANZSCO says
    "At least five years of relevant experience and/or relevant vendor certification may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1)."

I have vendor qualifcations (Microsoft quals + Level 5 Diploma) so looking at that it seems I qualify

Would be great if someone on the forum can confirm

"In some instances" - I think NZIS validates this on case by case basis, better to check with them.

I had my bachelors in Electronics & Masters in Information Technology but could not claim points for decade plus experience. I think someone might share better picture in similar case.