Thread: Is work reference a must?

Default Is work reference a must?

Is work reference needed for previous companies? in the case of applying for skill migrant category

Quote Originally Posted by ventola83 View Post
    Is work reference needed for previous companies? in the case of applying for skill migrant category
    NZIS will accept the standard letter that most UK companies are happy to provide, that is: XXX was employed as a full time YYY since ZZZ...

However, while this may be acceptable for NZIS, its simply not good enough to secure that important first job where a fuller personal reference will be required. The recruitment agent and / or Human Resource department will want to speak to your former boss to answer them about your working style.

I suggest you check on contact details for your previous bosses now and ensure that they are happy to provide such a reference.

Quote Originally Posted by rogercruse View Post
    NZIS will accept the standard letter that most UK companies are happy to provide, that is: XXX was employed as a full time YYY since ZZZ...

However, while this may be acceptable for NZIS, its simply not good enough to secure that important first job where a fuller personal reference will be required. The recruitment agent and / or Human Resource department will want to speak to your former boss to answer them about your working style.

I suggest you check on contact details for your previous bosses now and ensure that they are happy to provide such a reference.
    You are speaking about jobs where?

Anyway, references are a kind of must. So you really should try getting something. Perhaps if not from the companies HR "just" from your direct superior.

Smile

Thanks! I will need to have it done soon.

From what I know, you will need work reference for taking up job in most companies as well.