Thread: Thoughts on this plan for vacation with 2 kids in tow

Default Thoughts on this plan for vacation with 2 kids in tow

My family and I (and 4 and 6 yr old boys) are coming to NZ for 2 weeks end March/April to activate our PR visas.
    A suggested plan I have come up with is:

AKL-Hamilton-Taupo-Palmerston North-Welly.
    Welly-Napier-Rotorua-Tauranga-Whitianga-AKL.

I was there in 2008 and trying to hit some of the places I really like (Mt Manganui, Rotorua) but would also like explore Welly and some of the Coromandel area. My Hubby and kids have not visited NZ yet.

We have 2 weeks and will be using a rental car. Trying to not do too much driving in one day with the kids.

Any thoughts would be appreciated?

It looks good. If I was doing it, I would allow more time in Wellington (there's lots of fun stuff to do there) by doing Auckland to Wellington in 2 days, i.e. Auckland-Taupo-Wellington, and skip Hamilton and Palmerston North unless you have particular reasons for staying there.

You could do AKL , Coromandel, Tauranga, Rotorua, Taupo, Napier, Wellington & fly back up to AKL.

We did something very similar with 4 kids in tow. But we had 3 weeks , we did spend a week at the Mount though.
    Didn't stay in Rotorua. Had at least a couple of nights in each other place as didn't want to be driving the whole time.

You missed the whole south island!!!

But in 2 weeks then you can't do everything, and so it's much much better to do some bits in a leisurely way than sprint past everything and in essenca see nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoat View Post
    You missed the whole south island!!!
    Only due to time constraints!! We will be moving out in 2 years and I saw a part of the South Island in 2008 and loved it!! Did not want to push it with 2 kids!! Want to have plenty of time for them to explore etc.
    Thanks for all your input. I will look at making AKL to Welly trip shorter.