Thread: Should we disclose anxiety on the EOI?

Default Should we disclose anxiety on the EOI?

Well, it's been a while since I posted on here, since then we've been to NZ for our reccy, decided we love it and completed the NZQA assessment and had my OH registered with the Teachers Council - all very good news.

Now I'm filling in the EOI, just on the off chance it gets picked before we secure a job offer.

Does anyone know if we should be declaring a 3 month episode of 'anxiety disorder' that occured 7 years ago in the health section and if it's classed as a 'psychiatric disorder'? If we do, is it likely to affect the selection? Or is it going to be covered in the medical anyway?

Ta!

I think that it is worthwhile disclosing. My husband had depression and anxiety and was off work at the time we submitted our EOI. ALthough it was noted during medicals at the ITA stage he was ready to go back to work, he had to get a letter from the GP when it reached MA stage to say he was OK again and that was that. However if you do not disclose and it is revealed for some reason, it can cause more of a problem....too much, in this instance, is better than too little

we have been referred to the MA for DD's 'resolved anxiety' (she was nervous starting high school, GP insisted it had to be included on medical under mental illness)
    now for what is a non-issue she has to see a psychiatrist
    ridiculous

You need to disclose what they ask. If you do then there is a small chance it will lead to some questions, but would seem most of the time not. I disclosed depression, a whole host of ankle / leg related injuries and they showed no interest at all. I think that the time since the last treatment is probably a significant factor, and in my case with the depression it was slightly less than your 7 years.

Any false statements on the EOI may result in a rejection and potentially a ban on applying for several years. If you show something that is flagged then worse case is they will ask for more info. In reality, at EOI it seems unlikely this will be an issue, and during the ITA medical then it depends on what comment the doctor doing the medical adds on this section. So way down the line when you get there, then be prepared to provide full details at the medical so the doctor can make a reasoned judgement call on all the information. The CO isn't a medic and so just goes by what the policy says, and that in turn is informed by the medicals.

I disclosed anxiety as well. My doctor just had to submit a letter with more detail.
    Some issues are so tricky, however. Our son had been misdiagnosed as ADHD and was on medication for 3 years before we were able to correct the diagnosis! But since the meds were in his medical records we had to disclose it. Try taking back a false diagnosis!!
    In the end, we'd rather go thru the extra leg work and avoid being perceived as dishonest.
    Best wishes!

I too agree with all...it is better to disclose it rather than encountering problems at the end..

Default Thanks

Thanks for all your replies all, good advice .

I figured this would be the case, I emailed INZ and they said roughly the same thing.

Hopefully it shouldn't cause any issues, but we can supply doctors letters if needed.

Now I just need to get the EOI form to work online - it's not letting me submit work experience evidence without crashing, grrr. I'm fearing it may mean I have to input everything again, ah well, another 4 hours I won't get back.

I just know it will all be worth it though when we get there.