Thread: Teaching jobs in NZ

Question Teaching jobs in NZ

Hi All,

I'm looking, I think, for some encouraging words that it is possible to get a Primary teaching job from overseas. I have heard of people having Skype/phone interviews and we know one peron out there already who got hers from the UK.

My OH has 18 years teaching experience, has had her quals assessed by NZQA, got her STC practicing certificate this week, has just finished two years as a Primary Strategy Consultant (Maths) (which sounds like an Education Adviser role over there?), is a leading maths teacher, KS2 co-ordinator etc etc.

I think she should sail into a job, as who WOULDN'T want her working at their school, but I am biased..

What's our best route? We have two small kids and want the security of a job offer before getting on the plane (again - we came for our reccy in Aug/Sept 2010).

Thanks.
    Last edited by gorstsmit; 12th January 2011 at 03:31 AM.

Might be worth joining an agency who should arrange a phone interview. Most jobs have already been advertised and filled for Term 1 (Feb) but more will come up through the year. In reality, you need to be here, on the ground, introducing yourselves to Principals as many only consider people they already know, although it does depend on whereabouts you are applying?

Thanks Carey,

We're going to be looking in the Auckland region - at least initially, just seems like more schools, more opportunities - for both of us. I would move to Tauranga, but I think for me it would be difficult to get that first NZ work experiance in a lower populated region.

OH won't go without a job offer, though I do appreciate it would be better to be on the ground, I think it's the risk of us both being jobless for a while and losing everything that puts her off.

Like I said, we have two friends in schools on North Shore who will hopefully be keeping their ears to the ground for things coming up so a CV can get to them quickly. Which is another thing - where can I get some good advice about how her CV should look, teachers don't have CV's here so it's putting together one that is good for the NZ market? I've read allsorts about photos, quotes, 5-6 pages long etc etc, but I think I need some real examples of CV's that have worked for people to have a proper idea of what it should look like and contain - any ideas (anyone?)?.

That's a tough one because different people have different ideas fo what a 'good' CV should look like. For example, my Oh was on practicum in a primary school and his tutor teacher suggest he model his CV on hers which he did then he showed it to the Principal who said no he wouldn't even look at that ! However, it does need to be longer than a Uk one, with quotes about teaching style/proficieny/abilities/responsibilites plus photos of you actually teaching. Being bound in an attractive folder seems to be the norm too. My Principal always says its got to stand out so be colourful and interesting to catch the eye in a pile of many others.

Probably best to go with advice from your teaching friends on N Shore.

Good luck!

Cheers!

Just submitted our EOI tonight - fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    That's a tough one because different people have different ideas fo what a 'good' CV should look like. For example, my Oh was on practicum in a primary school and his tutor teacher suggest he model his CV on hers which he did then he showed it to the Principal who said no he wouldn't even look at that ! However, it does need to be longer than a Uk one, with quotes about teaching style/proficieny/abilities/responsibilites plus photos of you actually teaching. Being bound in an attractive folder seems to be the norm too. My Principal always says its got to stand out so be colourful and interesting to catch the eye in a pile of many others.

Probably best to go with advice from your teaching friends on N Shore.

Good luck!
    WOW! Sorry to bust in on this conversation, but being from the USA, our resumes are quite different. I, also, am a teacher. I put together a CV, but it doesn't seem to be anything like the CV you wrote about. Can anyone tell me where I can find an example of a primary teacher CV for NZ? I obviously need to redo mine.

There seems to be a lot of differing opinions Magcats, some say photos and quotes, some not. the one thing that appears to be constant is that they tend to be longer - maybe 4-6 pages.

I'm trying to find example from wherever I can. Googling NZ teacher CV actually seems to bring up a few examples from teachers who've posted there's on the web - there also shows up some good pointers from different local councils around NZ that are giving advice to Uni leavers etc.

I am a US secondary teacher and considered teaching here initially (but decided against it). Anyway, I looked a few kiwi teacher friends CVs and they were all books!

There were LOTS of pages, lots of photos...LOTS of stuff!

It was more like what I would call a scrapbook than a resume!