Thread: Estimated costs of medical, x-ray and police checks

Default Estimated costs of medical, x-ray and police checks

Hi everyone,

Would anyone be able to give me a rough estimate in GBP how much the medical and x-ray needed for a two + years working visa is and also the required police checks? Also, how do you go about organising them? Do they have to be with an immigration approved doctor or can you arrange them through your own GP? Also, how do you arrange the police checks?

Many thanks, Kat

The medical for NZ immigration is the same whatever visa you are going for, and has to be carried out by an approved doctor in the UK. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/templ...ACHEHINT=Guest How they each arrange for X-rays (and blood tests if necessary) can vary, i.e. what is included in their price, and the costs vary so it is worth asking several. Many forum members have found it worthwhile to travel to one out of their own area, as it was cheaper, even including the travel costs. You phone up and ask for their price, and make an appointment with the one you choose in the ordinary way.

Here is Immigration NZ talking about the police checks - scroll down the page to the specific instruction about what is needed for the UK, and where to get it. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...cate/uv/uk.htm

Not sure whereabouts in the West Country you are but we used a GP in Tavistock who was great (He was the GP an his wife the Practice nurse and they had a house in Taupo NI). We were able to chose a date / time which suited us and the tests etc were done in a remarkably short space of time and didn't cost the earth

Karen

Hi Kat,
    I went through that whole process in June 2010.
    IN GBP:
    the UK police check was 35.

The info was all online. You fill in some forms that you download from the site, get passport photos signed, proof of address etc. and mail all the docs in. Usually procesed within 10 days and sent back ASAP.

Chest x-ray at Ashford Hospital was 70.

Panel Doctor (not able to use my GP) was originally 234 when I asked for a quote in March, but price went up to nearly 300 by the time I actually went in 2 months later. Also, I had to fast 10 hours before going in so they could test my blood sugar levels - an added procedure, hence the higher cost?
    Last edited by JulieWM; 18th January 2011 at 03:24 PM.