Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where are all their prices?

Default Where are all their prices?

Not to compare, but here in Canada, to sell a house, a Real Estate agent lists his house on the MLS (The Multiple Listing Service) and virtually every house on the market is on that site and you can search my SO many criteria's and there is even a map that shows where all the houses are.

For example. Here is a link to an area near by. http://bit.ly/gl8jn1

I can ask for a 2-story, 4-bedroom house, between $400k-$500k with a garage, pool and fireplace and there you go... points are dropped on the map with all the houses on the market meeting that criteria. Furthermore, there are NO houses without prices. It would be crazy to not post the price. LOL.

How is one capable of looking for a house in NZ from the comfort of their computer? I cannot find a site with all the listings. Any recommendations? Perhaps I should build an MLS Website when I get there. Mouahahaha

How about TradeMe? Box on the side, enter area, details, how many bedrooms, price range...? When you get into the listing, there's a map to show you where the house is. It doesn't cover ALL houses on the market, but there certainly are a lot. Sorry, your startup business idea won't run! http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-me-property/index.htm

We've been looking on http://trademe.co.nz for rentals , but many of the houses for sale are "price by negotiation" or for auction. also http://www.realestate.co.nz/ has some listings.

If you search on this forum you will find a lot of ways that NZ is different from the north american market.

My view is that if they aren't willing to put a price on the property then I'm not willing to look at it. If everybody followed the same then it wouldn't take long before all listings had guide prices!

As to listings realestate.co.nz is the main one!

Yes, very annoying.

I have been told that if you put your price range in, then the houses that will show in the search should be within that range, even if they are for auction. Of course that won't tell you what they will end up selling for, but should be a range.

Ah, and this was for the Barfoot website, not sure if the others work the same way.

Daniela

My personal pet peeve is that you can't find out the SIZE (in square feet or square metres or in room sizes) on any of the websites!

In NZ, telling you the number of bedrooms is telling you the size. Never mind that bedrooms come in all shapes and sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoat View Post
    In NZ, telling you the number of bedrooms is telling you the size. Never mind that bedrooms come in all shapes and sizes.
    My pet peeve too! I ended up using house sqm as a guide for how big the bedrooms would be, though it's still a guesstimate until you walk through the door.

OP - I found realestate.co.nz more user-friendly than Trademe in the end, but it's still not ideal. The lack of prices on some ads is made up in part back some invisible guide-pricing in the background: the agents can list roughly what the vendor is looking for, then stick POA or NEG on the ad to frustrate buyers. I used to ignore them all, like James 1077, until I ran out of more specific listing to look at

Quote Originally Posted by James 1077 View Post
    My view is that if they aren't willing to put a price on the property then I'm not willing to look at it. If everybody followed the same then it wouldn't take long before all listings had guide prices!!
    I agree.

Trademe lists on a mere fraction of what's available for sale. Meaning it's all up to the real estate agent (and home seller) to pay for the TradeMe listing of the house. Likewise, many home owners list direct to public through TradeMe so looking to a real estate company like Harcourts can not get all what's available for sale.

Note that coming from Canada, beware that houses in NZ that list sqm or square footage of a house is measured by the WHOLE house area (the foundation and decks). Whereas in Canada, it only counts as the 'living area' (garages & decks are not counted).

Two story houses are not so common in NZ like they are in Canada and you will pay a high price to own one.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoat View Post
    My personal pet peeve is that you can't find out the SIZE (in square feet or square metres or in room sizes) on any of the websites!

Nobody gives individual room sizes and I have tried to get the agent I work for to do this. No go. However, total property sizes are entered and it's easy to get a feel for the size of a house after a while.
    Last edited by Noniej; 19th January 2011 at 02:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast