Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ship tracking

Default Ship tracking

What's the best site for tracking our container. I've got the ship name/AIS number, but as soon as it left the channel then vesseltracker says it's not in the tracked area.

Thanks

Yay! Another container spotter. We used marinetracker.com in July 2009 for ours, hope it still works. I became a bit obsessed, so much so we took the kids out late one night in their PJ's to watch the ship come into Auckland Port!!!! It was extremely exciting to think that somewhere on that container ship was my dressing gown, my husband's guitar and a load of other stuff we hadn't really thought much about since we left the UK ;-)

Thanks. Seems that wesite isn't working, but now found www.marinetraffic.com that seems to work. Stuff was last spotted round the bottom of italy a couple of days ago.

You can try http://aprs.fi/
    I used a combination of sites to show how far behind schedule my MSC container got on it's jaunt across the world
    Bear in mind they all use APRS data which is received by amateur radio stations and uploaded to the web. if there aren't any receivers nearby then it can disappear for days at a time, especially if it's mid ocean.

Yup, we used marinetraffic.com too - I had a little button on the Favourites bar that would be obsessively clicked whenever it came within sight of land. I did get jealous when the ship took a break in Réunion though, but was very confused when the last leg (SYD>CHC) appeared to happen as if by magic - no updates at all.

You should have your container number too - if it's sailing via the MSC shipping empire, you can get email updates when the box changes ships via http://www.mscgva.ch/tracking/

I just tried tracking my container again, and it still works! it's been to New Plymouth, Sydney and Singapore since it had my stuff in it

Ours disappeared in the Suez Canal, turned up in Malaysia and reappeared in Auckland. For a country where it had barely rained for 2 months, the night it arrived in LYttelton was load cloud and pouring rain....and we went out to watch. It was an incredible feeling to see the ship coming out of the mist. (I know, we are sad....)

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I also vote for the MSC tracker if that's who your container belongs to. I used http://www.mscaustralia.com/tracking/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mamee & Co View Post
    Ours disappeared in the Suez Canal, turned up in Malaysia and reappeared in Auckland. For a country where it had barely rained for 2 months, the night it arrived in LYttelton was load cloud and pouring rain....and we went out to watch. It was an incredible feeling to see the ship coming out of the mist. (I know, we are sad....)
    I was so tempted to do this.. but the ETA for the ship was 0715. I'm glad I left it till lunch to trundle over to Lyttleton, becuase it turned out the ship docked at 0430!!!

All good fun!
    got mine at last!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast