Thread: Moving cats

Default Moving cats

Hi,
    I'm new to the bulletin, and was wondering if we moved what options we have with regards to our cats. We have 2 young cats, Sid and Saffy who are very much part of our family and we couldn't imagine leaving them behind. How much would it cost to bring them and how long would they be quarantined for?

Does anyone have success stories with relocating their pets and how they did it? Would appreciate any feedback!

Gingerale x

Yes, yes, yes, there are lots of stories of successful pet transport, and many forum members will well relate to your feelings. Use of the Search button on the blue bar above will bring up some old threads with details. And you'll be happy to know there is NO quarantine requirement for a cat from the UK arriving in NZ.

In the UK, some quite near neighbours of ours with family in both countries have a Siamese cat who has been to and from NZ just as many times as I have, if not once more...

Hi again!

We brought our 12 year old Jack Russell and 14 year old cat with us last year. They both travelled exceptionally well. Our cat has IBD and there had been queries about whether she would be fit enough to come, but she rallied and is still here 12+ months later, although has bouts of ill health.

Both went into kennels the weekend before our packers arrived, and were housed by Golden Arrow for about 28 days before flying. Golden Arrow took care of all their tests for us, and they arrived in good shape a week and a half after us. It cost us just over £2k for the priviledge, but it was well worth it. As JandM has said there is no quarantine, you pick them up from the airport. There are a number of tests before travelling but although I was worried I was told that it is very rare for a UK based animal to have any problems with these. They also need wormed and flea treatment prior to travel.

GOod Luck.

Our cat was rehomed, and he's knocked the new feeder into shape just fine. He is overflowing with personality, so we were a little worried, but in reality then he is absolutely loving it. Gone form a country cat to living in London, but he's absolutely fine, now hapily getting into bed with new feeder, being demanding about his food as he always was. He gets a bit confused when Jane skypes the new feeder and he can hear her voice but doesn't know where she is, but even when Jane went to stay in his new home then he was clearly sidign with the person that had been feeding him most recently. They aren't daft.

For us (and Thomas) this was the right decision.

We brought our 6 year old cat - the kids refused to come without him! He traveled and settled better than us .....but it costs more than a Premier Ecconomy ticket!

Were using Petair to take our 2 cats out to wellington next month, they have 2 services, first one is the silver package, meaning you sort out you own paperwork and take the cats to have all the blood test, etc...
    The gold package is all inclusive, we dont have to do anything, the cats are taken care of from start to finish, they come to you for all the test, all paperwork done, they even chauffeur the cats to heathrow!
    Our quotes were - Silver £1500, gold £2500

We were very nervous about 1 of our cats flying as she is very small (2kg) and nervous (beaten as a kitten, dumped in a bin and had to have a leg removed), but the people at petair have been very helpful and reassuring all the way.

Ive heard very good things about Golden arrow too, just depends on personal preference and price.

I just brought my 7 month old Scottish Fold kitten with me from Singapore 4 days ago. After a number of near-heart attacks after being told he wouldn't be shipped, I will share some information I learned.

Warn your airline IN ADVANCE with export and import (if needed) paperwork included! I told mine a month before but provided official paperwork a week in advance and that caused me much grief. Apparently, they need to contact each foreign port of arrival that the cat touches (in my case, Australia and New Zealand) and get the paperwork for each...it takes 'weeks' but if forced, they can do it in 2 days. You can't do it yourself, and I tried. You also have to confirm with your airport (not airline) cargo because they have additional requirements. I ran from one side of the airport to another getting signatures and rang up $70 in taxi fees, just at the airport. Remember that you'll need to be there many hours in advance. I almost wish I'd used a company, but they quoted me $1,000 more than I just spent.

As a warning, you will get smacked with random costs all over the place. I paid about $150 in fees when the cat landed. On top of a $500 airfare charge. Export permit cost. Approval fees. And 4 vet visits for check-ups and tests which will vary country by country. Luckily, my little guy didn't need quarantine because Singapore is so stringent with their animals.

Finally, don't bother to put food or toys or litter in the carrier. They will throw it all away. It was a shame because my boyfriend made the air travel container as livable as possible with all the cat amenities and it was all gone when the kitten arrived, bug-eyed and jet-lagged. He made it, though...and he's currently sitting next to me on the bed in the hotel, staring at this screen and cuddling. Totally worth it!