Thread: RRV and IRRV

Default RRV and IRRV

Hi All,

I was approved for PR with skilled immigration stream, i got my blue sticker stamped on my passport on June 2010.

Due to economic reasons i am not able to migrate to NZ, But i still want to visit NZ and get my PR activated .

can anyone please tell me once i get PR activated within 1 YR time of getting the blue stickers , how should i get the RRV and IRRV stamped.

i tried the NZ immi site cant find a good documentation, describing that.

Can you tell me how to go about it .

Thanks

You may be having difficulty finding details because the names of things have changed since the Immigration Act, 2009, came into force last November. Here's an INZ page that gives details of what they NOW call PR, RRV, etc.. If you do a search on the INZ site with the new names, you should find the details you want (although this page explains most of it, I think). http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../residence.htm

hi,
    here you can find out your answer for your question
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm
    good luck

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    You may be having difficulty finding details because the names of things have changed since the Immigration Act, 2009, came into force last November. Here's an INZ page that gives details of what they NOW call PR, RRV, etc.. If you do a search on the INZ site with the new names, you should find the details you want (although this page explains most of it, I think). http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../residence.htm

Hi J&M

I went thorugh the links and still am not able to understand clearly the process, my residence visa was approved on 09 February 2010 and stamped on my passport on 14 July 2010 , It is valid till July 2011 .

I will be moving to NZ in May 2011 but wanted to go out and come back , previously the RRV let me go this with 2 yrs of valdity from the date of entry .

1)Does the new rule changes that? ..

2)Will i need to get a visa agian when i need to re enter ? how long i have to stay to get my returning recidence visa

3)how long i have to stay to get my returning recidence visa?

Please send me some details and guide me with the new process as i am planning to move to NZ in three months time.

Thanks you ,
    Seth

Hi intelinside,

The NZIS website says that there are not many essential changes to the rules, mostly just names, so you are correct to come in May before your first entry visa expires- this is the visa that "activates" your resident status. If you don't arrive in NZ on the date that expires, then you forfeit your right to become a resident.

When you have activated your residency by coming over, they will give you a multiple entry Returning Resident Visa (now called Resident Visa with Travel Conditions) - the one that allows you to come and go because you have been activated as a resident. (I think this is given to you once you arrive. Don't worry about where to get it now. Just worry about the Step 1, which is to come to NZ. NZIS would know how to give your RRV to you.) The RRV should be valid for two years. That allows you to come and go until the expiry date written on it. So you won't need to get a new visa every time you leave the country.

When your Returning Resident Visa expires, you will need to get a new visa. This new visa that they will grant you then (whether it's the IRRV now called PRV; or the 12-month Subsequent visa; or a 14-month visa) will be determined by how much loyalty or commitment you have shown to NZ in the past two years that transpired before you applied for this new visa. To get the IRRV (now Permanent Resident Visa, PRV), the rules are still the same as before: you should have been present in NZ for 184 days (half a year) in each of the two 12-month periods that preceded your application for this new visa. If you are only present in NZ for *one* half-year in those two 12-month periods, they will not give you the IRRV/PRV, but a 12-month visa only. They will not give you the PRV until you have satisfied these two half-year conditions. The 184 days may not be continuous. They may be broken up and accumulated within the year. If you are in NZ for only part of a day (say, you boarded the plane in the morning, or you arrived in NZ in the evening), it still counts as a day in NZ.

Here is the new guideline explaining the Residence and Permanent Residence Visas from NZIS:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...de.htm?level=2

Hope that helps.

btw, there are also other ways of getting the IRRV (PRV) without spending 184 days in both 12-month periods, like: being a Tax Resident of NZ and showing your committed by having a bought a house, etc. It's all in the Immigration NZ Guidelines linked above.

The RRV is normally given automatically to every new resident. So you have to come over and activate your resident status. Read Page 3 of the Guidelines to know the difference between First Entry and Multiple Entry visas.