Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking Apples

Default Cooking Apples

Hi Everyone

Not too sure where I should have placed this subject, but I guess it will get read.

The question is what type of fresh apple do you use in NZ to make things like apple pie and apple crumble. Bramleys and cooking apples generally do not seem to be available in NZ, so what do you guys use ?

A few receipts I have looked at just say APPLES, with no reference to a variety. In the UK you generally do not cook eating apples for pies as these tend to be sweet.

Any suggestions ? What have you had success with ?

Dave ( dying for some homemade apple crumble !!)

I would've used Granny Smiths.

Debs

Default Apples

Grannys are ok, but why not try a can of Fresh Up apple slices, they are packed tight with no fluid, unsweetened then you can do what you want with them. Cinnamon, brown sugar, or whatever you like, so much easier. I dont like grannys lately, they dont taste like they used to.

I dont like grannys lately, they dont taste like they used to.
    I agree - but I thought it was just the difference between NZ and UK grannys. I think they've sweetened them up somehow, they're def not as tart as they used to be.

Debs

I've just caught up with this thread and can't believe what I'm reading.

Are you all saying you can't get good cooking apples in NZ :eek

It might sound a bit girlie but................. My apple and blueberry pie is well known around these parts and was hoping to carry on over in NZ

:?

Edit: Yep, I was right. I've just read my post again and it does sound girlie.

Nothing wrong with a bloke that enjoys cooking

Hey, Ho

Hey Bubbles....you can bake me a pie .......

Cheers

Marie x

Marie,
    I'll gladly make you one of my specials once we get over there and get the invite round, or visa versa. Just hope NZ gets the apples problem sorted by then

Thanks for the replies. Looks like it is Granny Smiths or tinned apples, neither of which I am overjoyed about.

Still moving into our own house with a big garden next week, so I reckon the first thing to do is plant a Bramley Apple seed. Problem is where am I going to get a bramley apple seed and can I hold out until a tree developes and produces fruit !!?? Perhaps I will find a garden centre in Waikato that stocks Bramleys. Now there is a thought.

Dave

Good luck with the Bramley apple trees - I'm sure you'll be able to get a tree in NZ. And John, nothing girlie about cooking - just look at all those TV chefs who earn megabucks in the kitchen. I don't think anyone would call Gordon Ramsey girlie!

Debs

they do have cooking apples here as I have used them, try phoning some of the farm type shops on the way out of town. (here in chch it would be marshlands rd)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast