Thread: Irish Police Certificate

Exclamation Irish Police Certificate

Hi again all,

Looking for some info again We need to get Police Certificates from Ireland to apply for work visas. There is so much conflicting advice on the internet as to how to get one and even when we rang a couple of our local stations they are saying different things we need to send to them to get one. Has anybody on here recently (successfully) got a Police Cert from Ireland and if so can you enlighten me as to how I go about it?

Thanks in advance

I suggest you ask INZ - they'll soon let you know exactly which form they need.

Hi

I was in eire for a while, got my police cert at the local garda station where I was last staying. you need to go there, fill out a form listing the addresses of all the places you lived in and submit a copy of your passport. They will then post out the cert to your address after a couple of weeks. If you are outside Ireland, then I guess the best way would be to have some friend of yours make a trip to the station and check out with the garda superintendent.

Mine is over a year old now; will hence have to get another one done.
    Last edited by bludhemn; 18th January 2011 at 04:42 PM. Reason: additional info

Have you seen the information about getting a police certificate from Ireland on the INZ website?

Have a look at the citizen's info website which outlines the process too: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...rtificate.html

As far as I remember, it was pretty straightforward - think I got a response back in about 2-3 weeks, though it was a wee while ago.

We had to get ours from the Garda Vetting Unit in Thurles. In our case we lived in NI and travelled on Irish passports so INZ London asked for both the UK police cert and the Irish one. When we arrived at the nearest Garda station requesting their signature they wouldn't provide it as we didn't live in the ROI. After a wasted couple of weeks, INz referred us to Thurles which came through in about 3-4 weeks - check with INZ what they are actually asking for first before going down one road rather than the other.

In my experience no garda station will give information out to a relative/ nominee on your behalf, they will only deal with the person if they present at the station closest to their home address. I suspect Thurles is the way forward for you - but may be wrong.

Allow extra time to get the info, Irish wheels turn v. slowly!!

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Starkus71 View Post
    We had to get ours from the Garda Vetting Unit in Thurles. In our case we lived in NI and travelled on Irish passports so INZ London asked for both the UK police cert and the Irish one. When we arrived at the nearest Garda station requesting their signature they wouldn't provide it as we didn't live in the ROI. After a wasted couple of weeks, INz referred us to Thurles which came through in about 3-4 weeks - check with INZ what they are actually asking for first before going down one road rather than the other.

In my experience no garda station will give information out to a relative/ nominee on your behalf, they will only deal with the person if they present at the station closest to their home address. I suspect Thurles is the way forward for you - but may be wrong.
    Garda Vetting is not the same as a police certificate though. Have a look here: http://www.garda.ie/FAQ/Default.aspx...ory=36#FAQ2716.

As I recall, it really was quite straightforward. I wrote a letter, addressed to the Superintendent for the region we were currently living in, and outlined all the addresses, & dates, where we had previously resided. You don't have to present at any Garda Station to request the clearance cert.

Starkus, I can only assume that the difficulty you had arose because you never had an address in the RoI.