Thread: how can i get a Visa for volunteering?

Default how can i get a Visa for volunteering?

it's difficult?

For all information about visas google the NZ immigration website.

INZ requires a person to have one of the same range of visas for work as for volunteering. If you are of an age to qualify for a Working Holiday Visa, you might be able to use that to allow you to put in some time as a volunteer. Otherwise, people can't get a temporary work visa without having a job offer meeting all the full regulations, e.g. being paid at the proper rate for the skill involved etc..

Just as an example, a couple of years ago, a foreign grandfather put in an application to extend his visitor's visa for a longer stay with his children and grandchildren. He said he was enjoying his time helping sort out their garden and babysitting the children. INZ said he had broken the terms of his visitor's visa, because that was WORKING - doing stuff for the family without them formally employing him.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Just as an example, a couple of years ago, a foreign grandfather put in an application to extend his visitor's visa for a longer stay with his children and grandchildren. He said he was enjoying his time helping sort out their garden and babysitting the children. INZ said he had broken the terms of his visitor's visa, because that was WORKING - doing stuff for the family without them formally employing him.
    What? So everytime my mom comes to visit, if she looks after my kids she's breaking the terms of her visitor visa? That seems a bit extreme. What was the result there? Did that hold up?

They wouldn't extend that visa for him at that time. I think that was a really extreme interpretation of the regulations, and those are things that pass between family and friends all the time for affection and helpfulness with no thought of there being toil or obligation, so he was unfortunate, but having put in writing what he'd been doing and wanted to do more of, he was stuck.

This from the INZ operational manual. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/

V2.1.1 Definition of 'lawful purpose' for visitors

For the purposes of applying the 'lawful purpose' test in the provision relating to bona fide applicants (see E5.1), visitors are considered to be coming to New Zealand for a lawful purpose if:
    they are not intending to undertake employment (see W2.2.1)
    W2.2.1 Definition of ‘work’

Work means any activity undertaken for gain or reward...

'Gain or reward' includes any payment or benefit that can be valued in terms of money, such as board and lodging, goods (e.g. food or clothing) and services (e.g. transport).