Thread: Fire Alarm Technicians in NZ

Default Fire Alarm Technicians in NZ

Hello!

I'd just like to ask if its difficult to look for a job in the Engineering/Building and Fire alarm sector? My partner is now applying online and trying to look for a job, wherein he had included a note together with his CV that he is willing to apply for a Holiday Working Visa and can go anytime in NZ as soon as he gets the job offer. We have called the NZIS office here in Singapore and it will only take 5 working days to process the visa, for only SGD $139.

Is this possible? As for I've heard, HWV is only applicable for 6 months. How true is this information? Anyone of you guys have tried this process? Can the HWV be converted to a working visa after you get the job?

Too bad, I do not have the chance in applying for this visa since I'm a Filipino citizen and we do not have this special HWV.

To Malaysians, please answer as well and share your experience.

Thank you so much in advance.

Regards,
    Aisah

Quote Originally Posted by hasiagis View Post
    I'd just like to ask if its difficult to look for a job in the Engineering/Building and Fire alarm sector?
    I am in the general construction sector and thus a got a little knowledge on the fire trade as well. I would think that in general terms the outlook is quite good. However you need to check how your education and experience fit individually into the NZ market.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    I am in the general construction sector and thus a got a little knowledge on the fire trade as well. I would think that in general terms the outlook is quite good. However you need to check how your education and experience fit individually into the NZ market.
    Hi ralf!

Thanks for your reply. My partner had almost 3 years work experience in the fire trade as an alarm technician. He handles the fm200 system, sprinklers, control and alarm panel etc.

However, he is only an undergraduate and doesn't have any degree at all. But experienced and technically capable. He is multi-lingual as well and can speak 4 languages (Mandarin, Tamil, English and Malay)

This morning, an employer replied on his e-mail and mentioned that he needs a valid work permit. So does this mean that the HWV is not applicable?

Please advise.

Thank you so much for your help.

Regards,
    Aisah

Quote Originally Posted by hasiagis View Post
    This morning, an employer replied on his e-mail and mentioned that he needs a valid work permit. So does this mean that the HWV is not applicable?
    I am not sure as I have never dealt with WHVs. I would think that this potential employer might also be not too experienced there.

So you just have to check it out directly with INZ; either looking up their web site or contacting them.