Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: US to NZ - what do you wish you'd brought to NZ?

Default US to NZ - what do you wish you'd brought to NZ?

I'm in the process of cleaning out closets, de-cluttering, in order to put the house on the market - maybe even earlier than planned.

I'll be in NZ for the month of March and will price some things while I'm there (towels, etc) that will give me an idea of what I need to buy more of before I leave.

Questions:

!. Is there anything you wish you'd brought more of to NZ? (besides Graham crackers).

2. Can I bring my garden hoses and sprinklers? Can't remember if the tap threads are the same as here. (yes, I'll clean them first)

3. What U.S. antiseptic is the equivalent to the fluid used in the UK (begins with a 'J' in the UK....can't remember the name)

4. If or when you make a trip back to the US, what do you buy to take back to NZ?

5. I'm giving away a twig basket as I've read here that they're not allowed - but I've got baskets that are made of seagrass and others of some sort of split wood. Are they OK?

6. Old decoys. I've got a lot of them.

7. I've got a fish sculpture that's about 3 feet long - it's carved from wood and then is finished with an oil or something along those lines - but that's it. Is this considered 'raw wood' and is it allowed into NZ? I would hate to lose it.

8. Food products in glass jars - such as flour.

Thanks.

Hope you receive a lot of helpful information on this, Dell. It seems there might have been a thread similar to this some time ago. Did you do a search?

Quote Originally Posted by magcats View Post
    Hope you receive a lot of helpful information on this, Dell. It seems there might have been a thread similar to this some time ago. Did you do a search?
    I've done searches on some items - some info was pretty old and some applied to the UK not the US.

Thanks.

Tastykakes, lots and lots of Tastykakes.

And hot sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by ColeyNZ View Post
    Tastykakes, lots and lots of Tastykakes.

And hot sauce.
    What are Tastykakes? Have I been missing out on a goodie I didn't know about?

May I suggest that where it says 'Location' on the top of each post - that members put their country of origin, once they arrive in NZ? It would help as the member's post may pertain to UK and not US or vv. Thanks.

Tastykakes are a snack cake sold in the North East. They are based out of Philadelphia and they make some really good stuff. Here is the link for them:
    http://www.tastykake.com/

Ahh - I just remembered the name of the UK disinfectant that Brits use to clean their stuff being packed into containers. Jeyes! So I did a search on Jeyes and found the US equivalent might be Pine-Sol of perhaps Lysol. Can't use either as they do things to my asthma. I'm guessing just a good old scrubbing will work - even if there's not the distinctive Jeyes odor.

Reminder to self: Buy a couple of large rolls of fly screen material to pack in the container.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

We used Pine-Sol and it worked fine. The MAF inspector said we'd done a great job, but there wasn't the lingering odour that Jeyes seems to produce.

We didn't bring our hose simply because we couldn't be bothered to clean it properly. But tap threads are the same.

I can't say that there's anything else I wished I'd brought, except maybe a few extra pairs of Merrel shoes/sandals! They're soooooo expensive over here (my Merrel sandals cost US$70 and are NZ$199 here! Ouch).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast