Thread: shipping companies

Default shipping companies

we are moving from atlanta to tauranga , has anyone had good reliable service and quotes from shipping companies here???

I'm in the same boat - trying to figure out a shipper from the US to NZ. I'm leaning towards Rainier as others here have used the company with good results. I've received four quotes - all lower than Rainier....but think I'll go with them as they have good reviews. BTW, my quote from Arizona to my hometown, 45 miles N. of Auckland - 20 foot container - US$9400. My friend just paid US$6000 to move from Portland to Arizona so once I got over the initial sticker shock, I decided $9400 wasn't bad.

This is the guy I've been in touch with. He's been good about answering questions.

David Wiviott
    International Relocation Manager :: Rainier Overseas Movers, Inc.

T: 206.462.3628| 800.422.5440
    F: 206.528.7442
    9425 35th Ave. NE Suite D Seattle, WA 98115
    DaveW@RainierOS.com | www.RainierOS.com

Crown cover the US I think, and have a local office in Tauranga. They certainly won't be the cheapest, but as they are one company in both countries then you don't get into the situation with both companies denying responsibility for the extra costs and your goods being held hosstage.

Try calling Allied companies. We received the best quote from them.

Also, there are different options. We ended up shipping 2 smaller containers that were 3x3x10' each and it worked out well. My husband handled the shipping, but I think we paid between $6-7k and fit the majority of our stuff minus half the furniture. The one thing I regret not shipping is the couch--they seem to be so expensive in NZ. Also, would have considered ditching the TV if I would have known it wouldn't work without an expensive device.

Quote Originally Posted by egnz View Post
    Try calling Allied companies. We received the best quote from them.

Also, there are different options. We ended up shipping 2 smaller containers that were 3x3x10' each and it worked out well. My husband handled the shipping, but I think we paid between $6-7k and fit the majority of our stuff minus half the furniture. The one thing I regret not shipping is the couch--they seem to be so expensive in NZ. Also, would have considered ditching the TV if I would have known it wouldn't work without an expensive device.
    Thanks - I'll ask Crown and Allied for a quote, too.

I'm really hoping to do a lot of my own packing. Rainier told me it was OK to pack things that aren't fragile but in order for insurance to cover the shipment, they have to pack the rest. But I also don't want to wave a red flag when the shipment arrives if everything says, 'packed by owner'. So I'm compromising by packing small boxes which I'll leave open for the packers to seal - so they can repack or see what's inside.

I just need to get rid of some of the household stuff so that the house shows well when I put it on the market.

I saw a 20' container the other day and it looked pretty darned small. Hope everything is going to fit! But I'll put sticky notes with numbers on the furniture in order of priority.

This morning I filled out an online request for a quote with Allied and they called me within 30 minutes. They don't quote for a 20' or 40' container as with the other companies. Instead yhey truck the shipment to LA in a semi and pack in on the ship. The local rep will be calling me shortly - but so far, they seem very organized.

This morning I spoke at length with the local rep with Allied Van Lines. Unlike the other companies I've spoken with, Allied goes by weight. He said the costs for everything - from my house to my NZ house, including clearing customs, etc. work out to be about US$200 per 100 lbs. They'll come to the house to give me a serious quote when I'm closer to leaving, but he guesstimated that my belongings would cost US$8000-$10000.....about the same as my other quotes that were based on a 20' container.

He also said that as a NZ citizen, I'll have no customs charges on my shipment, providing everything is used and purchased more than 6 months prior to my departure.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    They don't quote for a 20' or 40' container as with the other companies. Instead yhey truck the shipment to LA in a semi and pack in on the ship. The local rep will be calling me shortly - but so far, they seem very organized.
    Depends where in the States you are. We moved from CT with the local Allied agent (Siracusa). They quoted for a 20' container, packed straight onto the container at our house and took it to NYC for shipping. Being fairly landlocked and not a million miles from LA, I can see why they might do that with yours.

The only real complaint I'd have with Allied was the time it took to get here. It was three months door to door. Packed on 9/13, it left NYC on 9/23 and arrived at our house in Welly 12/14. It took four ships and sailed via the Bahamas, South Africa, Mauritius, Australia (amongst other places)!!

At this end, we asked them to use Conroys as we'd heard good things on this forum. Our experience wasn't great though. They turned up to do an unpack and assemble at 4pm!! At 7pm they were gone. As you can imagine, not much unpacking or assembling was done. Hubby had asked the crew leader three times if the guys were upstairs assembling our bed (most important as we needed it that night) and was told 'yes'. But after they'd gone, he found they hadn't assembled a damn thing. Let alone the bed. I complained to my contact at Conroys who did get the Welly office to call me and offer a team the next afternoon, but hubby was having none of it after the treatment and lies. So we got NZ$150 (woo hoo!) for the privilege of unpacking ourselves. And yes, there are still boxes all over the place!

We are having to claim a few bits on the insurance as well. We'll see how that goes.