Thread: Flat-hunters warned over rental scams

Exclamation Flat-hunters warned over rental scams

ODT's article of 21/01/2011 - http://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/14...r-rental-scams :

"Students and house-seekers are being warned about sham online advertisements touting cheap flats, after a Dunedin-bound couple were nearly duped last week.

The Ministry of Consumer Affairs and the police have issued a warning to those looking for a flat, after a rise in scammers readvertising often legitimate properties online.

The ruse involves sham online advertisements for fake or recently advertised properties available for cheap rent.

Unsuspecting parties are asked by the overseas-based "owner" to pay their deposit and rent money via wire transfer.

One English couple were targeted after they advertised online for a Dunedin rental.

PropertyScouts owner Jeanette Aspin said the couple contacted her after they found her company was listing the same Mosgiel property for a higher rental than was the person who contacted them.

The couple, who had sent an application for the property and passport details, became suspicious after the person emailed them wanting rent before posting keys for the property.

Ms Aspin contacted police on the couple's behalf, as they were yet to arrive in the city.

She said it was a "huge concern" Dunedin properties were being targeted by scam artists. While no money exchanged hands, police were concerned the couple had sent their passport details, she said.

"To help them out, we are actively looking for a property on their behalf."

The Residential Tenancies Amendment Act (2010) meant if owners were based overseas for more than 21 days, they had to appoint a New Zealand-based agent, she said.

Consumer Affairs said the new year was a busy time for the New Zealand rental property market, and students and house seekers were reminded never to send money via a wire service unless they trusted the person.

They should also view the property in person, and report fake advertisements promptly.

"Use your common sense and do some research on the market. If something doesn't feel right, then it's probably a scam," the warning noted."

Thanks Ralf for posting this. I remember before moving to NZ, I was desperately looking to rent out a place before landing here and also got someone in UK claiming he wanted to let his NZ property, something didnt make sense and we didnt go ahead with it. I'm glad we didnt fall prey to this sham!!!

Many thanks Ralf. I am on my way next month and on the look out, so this warning is welcome. I planned to start off with legit "tourist" accommodation before committing and certainly was not intending dealing over the internet, but the extra caution is welcome.

Same thing happens all the time in the US. Craigslist (the original gumtree) advises that pretty much anything on the website that requires money transfers is a scam