Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tattoo/Piercing Questions

Default Tattoo/Piercing Questions

Hello All,

I have read on the forums that in NZ tattoos are very acceptable due to the Maori culture. I myself have full sleeves on both arms and a few other non-visible tattoos. Here in Canada I've often had to cover them up and usually have a hoodie on hand just in case. I've had to wear long sleeves in several different jobs, I always cover them up when I'm doing anything government or money related (ex. banking, crossing the border, getting drivers liscense/pastport) and I always cover them up when applying for a job. Also, my ears are pierced and stretched so the holes are large enough to fit a pinky finger through. I often have to wear flesh coloured earrings for job interviews and when in the workplace.

So my main question is what can I expect in NZ with full sleeve tattoos and pierced ears? Should I cover up my tattoos and earrings for job interviews? When meeting a landlord? When getting my bank account and tax number set up? What about customs in the airport when arriving in NZ for the first time? And keep in mind I'm a white male and my tattoos are in no way tribal so I don't think I can get away with people thinking I'm Maori.

My second question is related to ChCh specifically. What are some good tattoo shops in ChCh? What is the cost like there? Do they charge by tattoo or by the hour? When I get work done I usually get larger pieces so here I get an hourly rate which is about $100-125 CAD

Any personal experiences or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    CC

Tattoos are something very common these days (at least if they are not on your face and you don't work at customer facing part of the job)

I'd look for an answer to 2nd part of your question & any suggested tattoo parlour in Auckland?

Re the first, as with anywhere, then it depends a bit on what type of job you're going for, and being honest if you're male or female. Sorry, it's not clear from your posts and I don't want to make assumptions. Blokes will probably get more leeway regards to the tats, although if they are tribal tats then perhaps thats going to be more common with both sexes.

But in day to day life then most people wouldn't bother, but some people would. I can't imagine there's many places in the world where it's any different to that.

Regarding interviews, then perhaps that depends on how you view your tattoos. If you are happy to keep them covered at work, then perhaps keep them covered at the interview, then see once you're there if they are OK with you showing your arms. If on the otherhand you'd not be happy to keep them covered then there's no point in covering at the interview as that's just going to lead to strife once you're there. Or perhaps cover, but then ask eiher at the end of the interview, or once oyu have the offer before you accept. If you raise it as a question and explain that it's an important issie for you, but want to discuss as you appreciate that some companies / teams / roles then there may be an issue and want to discuss that before you accept any job offer then tht shows consideration and professionalism IMHO. Of course if you're going for a job in a bar, on a construction site, or selling surfboards, then there's going to be less issue than if you are applying for a job as a salesperson in a Bentley dealership.
    I work in a pretty conservative place. However my boss has a large tribal tattoo on his upper arm. Of course most of the time you can't see it, but when he wears short sleeved shirts it's pretty clear and I'm not aware of there being any issues. He certainly still goes to client meetings like that. But that is a bit more understated than two full arm sleeves.

Tattoos are much more common here than they were in Vancouver (at least in the part that I lived in). Issues with tattoos, although still possible, would likely be less common than in Canada.

A recent article in the Herald said that 1 in 5 New Zealanders have at least 1 tattoo.
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10699013

Quote Originally Posted by Millieandme View Post

A recent article in the Herald said that 1 in 5 New Zealanders have at least 1 tattoo.
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10699013
    Why?? Hope it is not a requirement

A female employee at my wife`s workplace (residential nursing home) was recently asked to cover her full sleeves tats as it was upsetting one or two of the old timers. She obliged without a fuss. The lady in question is very white and very blonde, but I wouldnt like say whether that was a factor in her case. Certainly there are Maori girls working in the same place who have plenty of ink on show, although not real large in your face type stuff

When i first moved to Germany ( 1992 ) it ws real bad with the views from people here as theyed never seen somebody with so many tattoos ( ive got loads and i mean loads)
    now its getting populare so its not so bad, i never hide them and some i cannt anyway, i stand to them, there a part of me and who i am,

Most people don't seem to care about tattoos or piercings here...from what I've experienced.

I work for a University doing HR Payroll. I have a few 'simple' piercings (industrial, conch, nostril), a female coworker has 2 tongue rings, Labret and Filtrum and our manager has his ears slightly stretched and has sleeves as well. He does wear long sleeved shirts but has them rolled up most of the time.

When I worked in the US I was told to cover my ears and had to have my eyebrow ring taken out... My OH has about 16 tattoos, works in IT and no seems to care about that either...

I get my hair cut here
    http://www.rodneywayne.co.nz/
    and as you can see from their web page tattoos are a vital part of their advertising. This is a quite posh hairdressers in Wellington.

Hi people, This is a shot in the dark, but what the hell, I am planning a tattoo on my torso, I know what want.... but cant draw or design it, If anyone hear is good at drawing or designing, it would be cool, You would get to see the finished piece, or if anyone knows where I could get help (with out going to a parlour) would love to hear from you....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast