Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Job offer for SMC. What do employers have to do?

Default Job offer for SMC. What do employers have to do?

Say you manage to get a job offer and put in your application for a residence visa under the skilled migrant category, will immi department call your employer to harass them for information or get them to attend an interview?

I don't understand why employers are so reluctant to hire foreign labour then. From what I understand, under the SMC, there are no labour tests required. No interviews, no hassle for employers at all.

My understanding is that they just have to write a simple letter stating "I am employing xxx as a xxx" and that's that?

Not quite, it needs to be a formal legal job offer, which in NZ means it needs to coverr a list of things. Not a huge issue as it should be mostly template, but the point is that it is legally binding on them, so if they give that to you they are committed to employing you and can't revoke it (they can have an expiry date in there, but then does that help you?). The point being that if your visa takes 6 months then they can't risk hiring someone else or they risk having to pay both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Not quite, it needs to be a formal legal job offer, which in NZ means it needs to coverr a list of things. Not a huge issue as it should be mostly template, but the point is that it is legally binding on them, so if they give that to you they are committed to employing you and can't revoke it (they can have an expiry date in there, but then does that help you?). The point being that if your visa takes 6 months then they can't risk hiring someone else or they risk having to pay both of you.
    Hello Duncan, where did you get that information from? Could you point me to the correct section on NZ immi's website which states that?

I would love to hear from more people who have gone through the process. What exactly do employers have to do to sponsor a skilled migrant?

From what I understand, there are no labour tests, no government interviews, no nothing?

They just have to offer you a job in formal writing.

Quote Originally Posted by minnysian View Post
    Hello Duncan, where did you get that information from? Could you point me to the correct section on NZ immi's website which states that?

I would love to hear from more people who have gone through the process. What exactly do employers have to do to sponsor a skilled migrant?

From what I understand, there are no labour tests, no government interviews, no nothing?

They just have to offer you a job in formal writing.
    Hi there,
    I think you are referring to Accredited employers. As far as my knowledge goes (in general terms) employer has to advertise role in the local job market for specific period (if foreigner is required for a particular job). Most of this is blackbox to anyone outside HR department as they "tend" to manipulate this route. Even if you have all the documents from prospective employer, while submitting your visa papers, be ready to answer some surprise questions (about job, your expertise etc), I guess this is what you mean by Government interviews.

Harassing is totally wrong word to be used in your context, I'm sure same checks are required in your country of origin but word used is probably "government procedure/process" . These checks are required because not everyone would be as much genuine as your self . NZIS has full right to check & verify authentic applicants coming through SMC as locals here also have complaints that such "open door policy" is leading to higher unemployment.

Hope that helps!

Say you manage to get a job offer and put in your application for a residence visa under the skilled migrant category, will immi department call your employer to harass them for information or get them to attend an interview?

I don't understand why employers are so reluctant to hire foreign labour then. From what I understand, under the SMC, there are no labour tests required. No interviews, no hassle for employers at all.

My understanding is that they just have to write a simple letter stating "I am employing xxx as a xxx" and that's that?
    If you want to know what an employer has to do then see Employing permanent workers from overseas

If on the other hand, you want to know why they are reluctant to employ foreign labour then this is a different question but will include such issues as time before they can start work, whether they will actually take up the job offer after all, whether they will leave again after short time, culture, kiwi experience etc.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    Hi there,
    I think you are referring to Accredited employers. As far as my knowledge goes (in general terms) employer has to advertise role in the local job market for specific period (if foreigner is required for a particular job). Most of this is blackbox to anyone outside HR department as they "tend" to manipulate this route. Even if you have all the documents from prospective employer, while submitting your visa papers, be ready to answer some surprise questions (about job, your expertise etc), I guess this is what you mean by Government interviews.

Harassing is totally wrong word to be used in your context, I'm sure same checks are required in your country of origin but word used is probably "government procedure/process" . These checks are required because not everyone would be as much genuine as your self . NZIS has full right to check & verify authentic applicants coming through SMC as locals here also have complaints that such "open door policy" is leading to higher unemployment.

Hope that helps!
    What are you talking about? Since when is a labour market test required for skilled migrants.

A labour market test is only required for work permits.

Minnysian - would you be so kind as to share your experience with us? It seems like you've been through a negative experience with job offer or potential employer or work permit being granted... anything of the sort? Your story might help those of us on the same track. Thanks and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by SueJon View Post
    Minnysian - would you be so kind as to share your experience with us? It seems like you've been through a negative experience with job offer or potential employer or work permit being granted... anything of the sort? Your story might help those of us on the same track. Thanks and good luck.
    Hello Sue, sorry but I do not have any stories to share. Except for a few rejections from employers who told me "We can't hire you it's too troublesome".

What is so troublesome about making a job offer? I don't know.

What are you talking about? Since when is a labour market test required for skilled migrants.

A labour market test is only required for work permits.

I don't think you understood the point and sorry I'm very bad at repeating the same answer in different words.

What is so troublesome about making a job offer? I don't know
    Job offer is a kind of commitment from employers and they are bound to follow set of rules to issue/cancel it. Ian has posted a very informative link above.

Different employers would probably have different reasons for their opinion.

A couple of issues I have encountered include a lack of education/understanding on the different types of visas available, how the application process works and what employers need to show/do; and employers simply not wanting to deal with Immigration as they feel the outcome is unpredictable (&/or slow) so they prefer to hire people who already have visas. This can extend to employers (and agencies) avoiding people with work visas to reduce the risk of future visas not being approved, even if the person has an open (non employer sponsored) work visa.

Having said that, there are also employers who are more interested in finding the right person/fit and so are happy to do what it takes to make it happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast