Thread: Health problems and SMC visa

Default Health problems and SMC visa

Hi guys,
    Just no so long ago I've been selected from the pool for SMC visa. Unfortunately half a year ago I had an accident when I was working out on a gym. I mean, the problem occurred the next day when I woke up and my back was in horrible pain. Several days later (weekend) I had my back x-rayed and as it turned out I had spinal disc herniation [1] (I could walk etc but the back pain was definitely there). Can anyone of you guys tell me what are my chances getting the visa successfully processed now? To be honest I don't know what to do, as on my online application I didn't put this information and it isn't indicated within my paper form I already get from London. What do you think, what shoud I do? Should I make some amendmends to my application (and by this close the doors to NZ dream), or should I leave it as it is? As far as I'm concerned I feel much better now, but still I'm not as healthy as I was before (no more gym for me, heavy lifting etc)
    Regards to all,

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinal_disc_herniation

Anyone? I'm a little bit pressed with the time.. or should I put the subject under different forum category?

The question really revolves around whether you intentionally misled NZIS in your EOI responses. According to the article you linked to, something like 75% of similar cases self-resolve with no medical intervention, so it seems unlikely that your condition will impose significant costs on NZ's medical system (which is what they are most concerned about). So, if your accident didn't create a chronic condition and you're not in treatment, I really don't see what there is to disclose at this stage.

When you get the ITA and have your medical done, that's when the specifics of your injury and treatment will be reviewed more carefully (by your panel doctor/GP initially, and then NZIS).

Once your ITA is issued you can put in comments under "ammendments" section and inform your CO about the situation. Probably CO will be in better position (who might check with MA) to say if your medical will/will not be referred.

If for any reason you are required to get medical checkup done in NZ, you may have to disclose this history at a later date (not sure how this will reflect).

Hi
    my mum has the same type of back problem you stated. She was refereed to the ma who requested for the prognosis of her condition , as she's healthy and only gets discomfort from time to time her consultant wrote in the requested medical report that surgery or any treatment wouldn't be necessary (which was main thing ma wanted to know ). We received an email from co today letting us know that her medicals had been cleared.

So basically when it comes round to submitting medicals id suggest that you have ready reports from your consultant outlining that in's and outs of your case specifying if any medical intervention is needed.
    good luck