Thread: Would You Recommend Fiji?

Default Would You Recommend Fiji?

I'm thinking of going to visit Fiji (family of 3) during the April hols and wondering if it is a good time to visit and what are the things we can do while we're there. Would 4 nights be sufficient to get an inkling of what Fiji is all about?

And would you recommend Fiji? What about the diving there?

Thanks people!

Quote Originally Posted by batgirl1001 View Post
    I'm thinking of going to visit Fiji (family of 3) during the April hols and wondering if it is a good time to visit and what are the things we can do while we're there. Would 4 nights be sufficient to get an inkling of what Fiji is all about?

And would you recommend Fiji? What about the diving there?

Thanks people!
    General information from "govt" here: http://www.safetravel.govt.nz/advisories/byregion.shtml ; for Fiji in particular here http://www.safetravel.govt.nz/destinations/fiji.shtml : "There is some risk to your security in Fiji and we advise caution." (Current though original posting is somewhat older.)

Not sure what April is like but Fiji is great. Most people just head to the main resort of Denarau which could be anywhere to be honest (well, anywhere with good weather and beaches!). Denarau is great as it is relatively close to the airport, has good diving, and everything is on one small island. Lots of hotels mean lots of restaurants and things to do.

For something a little more down-to-Earth though the Yasawas are really worth it. You generally need to get either a boat or a helicopter out to the islands (there is a great ferry that goes from Denarau - pay extra for the lounge if you have kids as you get aircon and refreshments included in the price)! Diving and fishing at the Yasawas is great but the resorts are generally not as sparkly (although I prefer the beachfront bure to a chain hotel so that is a good thing for me - but others see things differently!).

Downside to the Yasawas is that you generally need to spend a night at the beginning somewhere on the mainland, and sometimes at the end as well (depends on flights). Plus you have the 3 hour boat ride from Denarau. Last time we went we took the boat out and helicoptered back; the time before that we took a sea plane both ways (but were staying at a resort that wasn't on the boat's route).

Love fiji! I highly reccomend Mololo island.

It's been 10 years since we were there (really? eek!) but http://www.fijibeachouse.com/ was a great place to stay. Away from the main towns, but still on the "mainland", which kept transport costs down - it was even on a bus route, and public transport is a true Fijian experience

The garden rooms are great for families and the whole set-up was really relaxing, lots to do on site and minibus trips elsewhere for those who wanted to visit Suva, etc. Food was good too, and I think I saw one non-Fijian staff member... Probably worth checking out some more recent reviews as well though.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Viti_Levu.html
    Last edited by sophiedb; 25th January 2011 at 11:02 AM. Reason: typo

This place is awesome. http://www.moodysnamenafiji.com/

Thanks very much. We were interested in the Fiji Family deal especially as kids get to travel for $199.

Having never been to Fiji- I am wondering if it is better to stay on the main island or the smaller resort islands in terms of the quality of the beaches and the activities.

Are the resort islands far from the capital or main towns like Nadi? Is it easy to get transport by boat or car/jeep to travel around?

I don't necessarily want to spend all day at the resort and eating only hotel food--> want to try the real cuisine out there and the so-called spicy Fiji Indian cuisine which they tell me is quite different.

*I had friends who visited Fiji and didn't like it at all--> reason being it was expensive and the people were not pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by batgirl1001 View Post
    *I had friends who visited Fiji and didn't like it at all--> reason being it was expensive and the people were not pleasant.
    Whoops, although I enjoyed the holiday I have to agree - "not pleasant" is a bit strong, but dour and reluctant to do anything to help, yes - and given what we're used to, I found it expensive - however, from what I can see on this forum I seem to be in the minority ...

Quote Originally Posted by Shones View Post
    I found it expensive - however, from what I can see on this forum I seem to be in the minority ...
    As with everything it depends on where you go. Denarau is expensive; elsewhere can be cheap. Last time we were there we bought a good curry and couple of Fiji bitters for three of us at an airport hotel for less than the price of one starter that my Aunt paid at Denarau!

$4 an hour babysitting is pretty cheap and is the norm on the islands. Food is cheap in some resorts (we stayed in Octopus and the food on the food plan is cheap - but the resort has a mix of backpackers and honeymooners so needs to appeal to all).

Then again the place we stayed on honeymoon 5 years ago was US$1,000 a night so reasonably pricey!

As with everything do your research and ask before you make a decision!
    Last edited by James 1077; 25th January 2011 at 08:04 PM.