Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the cheapest way to call a US mobile from a NZ landline?

Default What is the cheapest way to call a US mobile from a NZ landline?

As this seems to be an 'American' thread - may I ask a quick question regarding phones. I've been looking into the Telecom phone package - landline plus broadband plus the overseas calling package - and realize that most of the people I would be calling in the US no longer have a landline. What is the cheapest way to call a US mobile from a NZ landline? Calling card? Thanks.
    Last edited by ENZ; 26th January 2011 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Moved to its own thead. :)

there are no price differences calling US landlines or US mobiles.

I have Orcon and have US calling included in my package (up to an hour at a time but I just hang up and redial)

Friends I have pay 5 cents a minute with other providers.

Maybe you can beat that with a calling card but the connection fees usually wipe out any actual savings

if you are based in Wellington then it's voipcheap. You phone a wellington number (local calls are free in NZ) and then dial your US #. It's 0.012 Euros / minute. You have to pay in advance but if you top up 10 Euros then you get 90 days free. It's voip based so you can also call from a PC a la skype. Voipcheap only have a wellington number in NZ.
    I use it for calling UK landlines.

Google Voice: Free to US phones!

http://www.google.com/chat/voice/

We use a compass phone "Kia Ora" card which you can buy almost anywhere they sell phone cards in NZ They have local access numbers to call depending on where you are located so you do not call a long distance number to use. This way the most basic landline plans will work with it. I think the rates are like 2-3 cents a minute. It does not care whether the US number is a landline or a mobile - same rate. We spend about $40 a year on it so it is virtually nothing and cheaper than having a landline plan which includes US numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoat View Post
    there are no price differences calling US landlines or US mobiles.

I have Orcon and have US calling included in my package (up to an hour at a time but I just hang up and redial)

Friends I have pay 5 cents a minute with other providers.

Maybe you can beat that with a calling card but the connection fees usually wipe out any actual savings

Thanks for your reply, but according to all the info I've found online, there is a higher charge for calling from landline to mobile.

Telecom:
    Talk It Up - NZ & Overseas - Call any landline in the countries listed and talk for up to 2 hours per call for one flat fee: New Zealand, Australia, UK, USA, Canada, South Africa, China (excludes Macau), Ireland, Germany, Netherlands, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong, India, France, Switzerland, Japan, Thailand, Italy and South Korea
    --------

Kia Ora calling card:
    Calls from cell phones incur a 75 cent per min surcharge and a 3 minute minimum call charge applies.
    Last edited by Dell; 27th January 2011 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    Thanks for your reply, but according to all the info I've found online, there is a higher charge for calling from landline to mobile.

Telecom:
    Talk It Up - NZ & Overseas - Call any landline in the countries listed and talk for up to 2 hours per call for one flat fee: New Zealand, Australia, UK, USA, Canada, South Africa, China (excludes Macau), Ireland, Germany, Netherlands, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong, India, France, Switzerland, Japan, Thailand, Italy and South Korea
    --------

Kia Ora calling card:
    Calls from cell phones incur a 75 cent per min surcharge and a 3 minute minimum call charge applies.
    Regarding the Kia ora card...

That does not apply when you call from a NZ landline. The card is not designed to be used with a NZ mobile phone. You can do it but it is not cheap.
    Last edited by TJH; 27th January 2011 at 05:23 AM.

Duh. How did I miss the 'from'. I use Kia Ora cards when in NZ so this is good to know. Thanks!

Edited to add: One more thing crossed off the list!
    Last edited by Dell; 27th January 2011 at 05:28 AM.

Log on to gmail and make unlimited free phone calls to any mobile/landline in US. When you dial the number, donot dial international prefix and zero (0) from area code.

Ok, not for landline users, but if you have an iphone, there is an app called "Viber" which is for free calls, apparently: http://www.viber.com/

As I don't have an iphone, I can't comment on how good/bad it is, just saw a friend mention it on FB.

GG, unfortunately calls to international mobiles on Orcon plans are charged at a hire rate. http://www.orcon.net.nz/home/page/or...line_and_tolls. Calls to Irish mobiles are charged at $0.61/min, assume the US is at a similar rate. (that's from the charge on my last bill in case its not easily visible on the Orcon site)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast