Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just converted UK Driver license to NZ license. Basic info.

Default Just converted UK Driver license to NZ license. Basic info.

Hello. I know there are already previous threads about how to go about converting an overseas driving license to a NZ one, but I thought I would give the latest info for anyone from the UK wondering what the procedure was like currently as of Jan 2011.

- I walked into my local AA office. (Found out the location by using yellow pages online). No appointment was necessary. They are open 8:30-5pm. It took roughly one hour to get through due to the queue at 1:30pm. My individual transaction took approximately 15 minutes.

- I filled out a form that was available inside the office for an application to convert an overseas driver license into a NZ one. There were two pages to fill out and it was quite simple.

- I took along my UK passport, UK license (this must be current or expired less than 12 months), plus one proof of a NZ address. If you can get photocopies of all these documents before going, that is advisable. I did not have access to a photocopier, so I had pay them $1 per copy. You will also need to photocopy the reverse side of your license.

(I did not have any medical conditions, so did not need a medical certificate, but anyone who does would need to bring this with them. This certificate must be completed by a NZ registered medical practitioner and must not be more than 60 days old).

- The representative went over my form, checking that all data corresponded to my passport and UK driver's license. He did a thorough check and then entered it manually into their computer.

- I did a quick eye test. I wear glasses so I did it with them on. This test included reading 5 lines of letters and then acknowledging flashing lights in my peripheral vision.

- I signed my signature on an electronic device which transfers it to the card.

- I had my photo taken. He did not allow me to 'preview' my picture, so I just have to hope that I did not have on a silly grin.

- Then I had to wait for it to be processed through their system. This only took maybe 2 minutes. It was approved and I was given a temporary NZ paper license which expires after 21 days. They mail the permanent drivers license to you within 21 days.

- I kept my UK license and all original documents.

- I paid $52.10 in total for the NZ license. This includes a $2 photocopying fee. They accept cash, cheque or EFTPOS. If you pay by cheque your application will not be processed until your cheque has cleared.

So all in all, a relatively easy process in my opinion.
    Last edited by JulieWM; 26th January 2011 at 04:38 PM.

P.S. I have only been in NZ 4.5 months, but I had 4 reasons for converting my license as quickly as possible.
    1) to reduce the excess on my car insurance policy
    2) I cannot buy alcohol with my UK license!
    3) Someone said that if I go clubbing without a NZ license, I will have to take my passport as proof of my age.
    4) Most job applications I have been applying for ask for a NZ full driving license, so although they won't reject my UK license, it just makes things more straightforward.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieWM View Post
    P.S. I have only been in NZ 4.5 months, but I had 4 reasons for converting my license as quickly as possible.
    3) Someone said that if I go clubbing without a NZ license, I will have to take my passport as proof of my age.
    4) Most job applications I have been applying for ask for a NZ full driving license, so although they won't reject my UK license, it just makes things more straightforward.

Unfortunately I don't have to worry about points 2 and 3 above.......

kejktfc

Thanks for this info!

Exactly the same process for converting over Canadian drivers license.

Only difference I had, was ensuring my motorcycle endorsement got put on the NZ license.

Thanks Julie, that's a very nice post

To add another benefit to below list, you can rent out DVD's from videoezy

Quote Originally Posted by JulieWM View Post

Cool, Im going to do mine next week. I love the laid back kiwis, we got our car insurance & they didnt want payment or anything straight off just yeah we will send you an invoice! Did they need a photocopy of the paper bit of your licence too or just the card?

Quote Originally Posted by tianiax View Post
    Did they need a photocopy of the paper bit of your licence too or just the card?
    The staff member took a photocopy of my paper counterpart license as well because I had it with me and showed it to him, but it was an afterthought on his part. He also did not charge me for that extra photocopy. So you can carry yours with you when you go, but I got the impression it was not crucial.

Thank you so much that is really helpful. We keep meaning to do ours, but thought it would be a hassle.

Talking

I found the staff at Dunedin AA were great when I changed mine. But that could have been something to do with who I'm married to

Just asked OH and apparently it is a legal requirement that the applicant does not get to see their photo. Not sure why but there you go.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast