Thread: Just converted UK Driver license to NZ license. Basic info.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Just converted UK Driver license to NZ license. Basic info.

Hello. I know there are already previous threads about how to go about converting an overseas driving license to a NZ one, but I thought I would give the latest info for anyone from the UK wondering what the procedure was like currently as of Jan 2011.

- I walked into my local AA office. (Found out the location by using yellow pages online). No appointment was necessary. They are open 8:30-5pm. It took roughly one hour to get through due to the queue at 1:30pm. My individual transaction took approximately 15 minutes.

- I filled out a form that was available inside the office for an application to convert an overseas driver license into a NZ one. There were two pages to fill out and it was quite simple.

- I took along my UK passport, UK license (this must be current or expired less than 12 months), plus one proof of a NZ address. If you can get photocopies of all these documents before going, that is advisable. I did not have access to a photocopier, so I had pay them $1 per copy. You will also need to photocopy the reverse side of your license.

(I did not have any medical conditions, so did not need a medical certificate, but anyone who does would need to bring this with them. This certificate must be completed by a NZ registered medical practitioner and must not be more than 60 days old).

- The representative went over my form, checking that all data corresponded to my passport and UK driver's license. He did a thorough check and then entered it manually into their computer.

- I did a quick eye test. I wear glasses so I did it with them on. This test included reading 5 lines of letters and then acknowledging flashing lights in my peripheral vision.

- I signed my signature on an electronic device which transfers it to the card.

- I had my photo taken. He did not allow me to 'preview' my picture, so I just have to hope that I did not have on a silly grin.

- Then I had to wait for it to be processed through their system. This only took maybe 2 minutes. It was approved and I was given a temporary NZ paper license which expires after 21 days. They mail the permanent drivers license to you within 21 days.

- I kept my UK license and all original documents.

- I paid $52.10 in total for the NZ license. This includes a $2 photocopying fee. They accept cash, cheque or EFTPOS. If you pay by cheque your application will not be processed until your cheque has cleared.

So all in all, a relatively easy process in my opinion.
    Last edited by JulieWM; 26th January 2011 at 04:38 PM.