Thread: Buying a car if you plan to move in the future?

Default Buying a car if you plan to move in the future?

We're planning to buy a car, and have about $4k to spend on it unless we plan to pay in instalments.

However, we may be moving from Chch to Auckland after a year or two. Which would be a better idea, to try to resell it before moving, or to transport it? How much does it cost for transport?

Also, would it be more worth it for us to buy a 2nd hand for <$4k or a new one for more than that, taking into consideration resale value in 1-2 years' time should we take that route?

4k won't by much, but at the same time will be simmilar to about a third of the cars on the road. Finance is pretty easy on cars, so yo can take your choice depending on the rest of your finances.

Interislander crossing website has teh ferry charges, and I would have assumed that if you were moving then driving would make sense anyway for baggage reasons.

Thanks, I didn't think about the baggage, we don't have much cause we were students previously though. Could probably fit everything into an upgraded-luggage plane ride.

I was more worried about the petrol cost than anything if we drive up ourselves. PLUS, Chch to AUK would take like 3 days at least on a sane schedule, no? Transport companies are quoting upwards of $700, ugh.

I wonder if we would stand to lose more than that if we just resold the car after a year.

And if we resell, how do we choose a car that can be resold easily and at minimum loss?

But 2 plane fares, airport transfers and all the junk / essentials that you'll acquire over a year will very quickly mount up. I arrived on the plane with 3 bags, all the rest are comign in a container. But by the time I moved after 4 months then I had a station wagon absolutely jam packed with all my stuff. 100% rammed.

3 days is fairly sane, sure you could do in less if you wanted to, but that would be a nice way to do the move anyway.

We've done to Christchuch-Auckland drive on several occasions previously, complete with 3 small kids. Each time we've done one overnight stop en route in either Top10 Blenheim or Wellington, whichever side worked best with the interislander crossing we took. Yes, it's a lot of driving, but not at all stressful compared to driving in UK. Plus if you book your ferry crossing well in advance you can get a pretty cheap fare. You also get an additional 10% discount if you have either AA membership or a Top10 card.

Also, we recently got one of our cars shipped by Crown from Canterbury to Auckland. OH's work sorted it out so we didn't haggle over the cost. It worked out at aprox $800 (including GST) door to door, and the car was filled with all our pot plants, my worm farm and other garden stuff that couldn't go in the shipping container with the rest of our household stuff....but you could fill your car with anything you wanted. It took 3 days to arrive in Auckland.

With an average petrol-consuming car, how much would it cost to transport it by yourself (petrol + ferry)?

You guys really don't think reselling the car is a good idea, baggage disregarded?

I think that I'd make the call once I knew what car I'd had, and how much stuff I had. I'd not make it the deciding factor at the outset.

Quote Originally Posted by althea View Post
    With an average petrol-consuming car, how much would it cost to transport it by yourself (petrol + ferry)?
    When we've driven ourselves the Interislander has cost aprox $200 (return fare) including the 10% discount....that was a websaver fare. This was for 2 adults and 3 young children. I don't think it would be any cheaper without the children, given their ages. You could check their website for one-way fares as it would be a bit cheaper. On top of that our well loaded 2.6 litre 7 seater car went through 2 full tanks of fuel, and last time the acommodation at Blenheim top 10 cost aprox $75 for the 5 of us in a unit with kitchenette and en suite shower room, but this was in September so it would be more expensive during peak holiday times, plus they didn't charge us extra for all the kids and we have a Top10 card.

We drove one car from Christchurch to Auckland and the other was transported by Crown relocations, there was about $100 between the cost of driving and using Crown. My car arrived 3 days later in Auckland without any hassle.

Liz

Ah, thanks.

So that would be around $600 to drive on average, give or take.

Would it be a better idea to try and resell or drive then, if we only consider the money lost?