View Poll Results: Do you think one day you will try to look younger with the help of cosmetic surgery?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 19.05%
  • No

34 80.95%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cosmetic Surgery

Question Cosmetic Surgery

She Who Must Be Obeyed and I are in the autumn of our lives: hair is grey, skin lacking the freshness it once had, movement doesn’t come as easily as it used to. Showbiz people older than us look younger than us. We were talking today about whether we should spruce ourselves up with a bit of help from the medical profession. We don’t think it’s for us, but regaining some of one’s looks from yesteryear is highly tempting. The sun’s much stronger in New Zealand than here. If people don’t take care, their skin takes a battering. Despite this we noticed women are less likely to use makeup in New Zealand than the UK, indicating that a natural look (and natural aging) are more the social norms.

It would be interesting to find out what other people thought about skin care and cosmetic surgery in New Zealand.

re skin protection for cancer a note from OSH

http://www.osh.dol.govt.nz/order/cat...s/consi014.pdf

cosmetic surgery to look younger - definitely not

My Mum has had a little bit of work done to her (eyelids and breast reduction - but is planning a face lift in the next few years). It isn't really for me though - I won't even be going as far as colouring my hair when it comes to it, and really can't understand the problem that some men have with hair loss!

I also am not fully satisfied on the link between melanoma and UV and think that rubbing nano-particles and creams which we have no built in evolutionary process to deal with the byproducts of is far more likely to cause damage than sunlight (which we have millions of years of evolution to produce mechanisms to cope with). I therefore don't use sunscreen unless I know that I am going to be out in the midday sun for long enough to burn (about 2 hours with my skin-type). This may, ultimately, make me age quicker but there is nothing wrong with a few wrinkles!
    Last edited by James 1077; 28th January 2011 at 12:29 PM.

I'm with her:

Please don't retouch my wrinkles. It took me so long to earn them.
    -Anna Magnani

Having said that, I don't condemn plastic surgery althoug I personally wouldn't go under the knife. A friend of mine had a breast reduction at the age of 22, because her bosom was just too big for her frame and also caused a lot of problems like back aches etc. for her which were a real nuisance in her job as a nurse. I think it was completely understandable, as are many other reasons where the aim is more for normality instead of pure vanity or any extremes. Still, as aging is unavoidable, I personally wouldn't try to fight it with cosmetic surgery as that battle can't be won.

Aging gracefully & naturally is my ultimate choice, though I'll take my supplements to maintain hard earned body frame but nothing to do with knife.

One of my dearest friends (in NZ) has not only been living in NZ's nice moist climate, she covers herself completely with hat and long sleeves whenever she goes outside AND she's had cosmetic surgery. Me? I've spent too many years in Arizona, thrown caution to the wind when it comes to sun exposure and have never had cosmetic surgery. We're a month apart in age but she looks much younger. But on the other hand she doesn't really laugh hard either because she might develop crows feet and laugh lines and she worries a lot about aging.

I don't believe in the hereafter - so this is it. I'm going to d*mn well enjoy it and not worry about grey hair and wrinkles.

Quote Originally Posted by Mgee View Post
    I'm with her:

Please don't retouch my wrinkles. It took me so long to earn them.
    -Anna Magnani

Having said that, I don't condemn plastic surgery althoug I personally wouldn't go under the knife. A friend of mine had a breast reduction at the age of 22, because her bosom was just too big for her frame and also caused a lot of problems like back aches etc. for her which were a real nuisance in her job as a nurse. I think it was completely understandable, as are many other reasons where the aim is more for normality instead of pure vanity or any extremes. Still, as aging is unavoidable, I personally wouldn't try to fight it with cosmetic surgery as that battle can't be won.
    Let us be precise and differ clearly between plastic surgery and cosmetic surgery. The first one is to remedy a medical condition the latter is not.
    E.g. after complications following an abdominal surgery I needed a skin and fascia transplant. This has not just been a cosmetic surgery but a necessary plastic surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    Let us be precise and differ clearly between plastic surgery and cosmetic surgery. The first one is to remedy a medical condition the latter is not.
    E.g. after complications following an abdominal surgery I needed a skin and fascia transplant. This has not just been a cosmetic surgery but a necessary plastic surgery.
    Ditto. Me too. Big difference.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOOHOO - What a Ride!"

I'd like to think I would not go down the cosmetic surgery route for 3 reasons:
    1. I'm a scaredy-cat when it comes to anything remotely medical
    2. I can think of better things to spend my money on
    3. We are designed to wrinkle etc as we get older - it's natural and doesn't bother me

However, if you were to offer me free facials and massages for the rest of my life as part of a maintenance and positive wellbeing thingy, hell yes!!

P

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOOHOO - What a Ride!"

Don't forget the chocolate.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast