Thread: To people with job offers from overseas

Default To people with job offers from overseas

I currently have an EOI submitted (no job offer) but am wondering if those with job offers already would share some advice. Did you use a recruitment agency? Use a professional CV service? Travel over to NZ first or do a phone interview? (In IT for my case but any profession would be helpful for others too) Thank you in advance, any advice is much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelmate View Post
    I currently have an EOI submitted (no job offer) but am wondering if those with job offers already would share some advice. Did you use a recruitment agency? Use a professional CV service? Travel over to NZ first or do a phone interview? (In IT for my case but any profession would be helpful for others too) Thank you in advance, any advice is much appreciated.
    Not IT though; civil and structural engineer.

Applied from overseas to companies directly and to job agencies (what the companies seemed to prefer).
    Did the CV myself.
    Came to NZ for personal interviews as requested by several contacts.

Got a job quickly enough, stayed and settled.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelmate View Post
    I didn't have job offer to get job but got an offer soon after receiving PR. I did consult recruitment agencies, the job that I took was directly from employer. Again, taking up this job meant my first trip to NZ which precisely answers second part of the question, my interview was conducted via phone.

Check my signature link and this thread for detailed info:
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?p=384340

I was lucky enough to have EOI selected without job offer (accountant). General problem though was that from end 2008 there were sufficient candidates for the area I am in to cover the market, so advice from recruitment consultants was that until I landed I would not get interviews. I tried for one, for whjch I had sufficient experience in 2009, prior to arriving, and was advised that although great CV I was not selected for interview as not in NZ.

On arriving the jobs market was quiet, however touched based with consultants. One in particular stood out for me...and he gave good advice. I obtained my position through him and he advised me of market state etc.

I also by the stage had applied to individual companies too and received interviews too(market was picking up!)