Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadband Prices.... Survey... What do you pay vs What do you get?

been with slingshot four years and never had to call them duncan... well not call them 'duncan' but call them at all at all

Quote Originally Posted by broadsword08 View Post
    been with slingshot four years and never had to call them duncan... well not call them 'duncan' but call them at all at all
    I've dealt with their custoemr services in sales and they've been great. Trick is when you get to the IVR and it gives you the option...select 'Sales' and not "Faults or Customer Service'...they always answer a chance of making more money quickly...then just say 'oops I meant faults...can you put me through?'

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I know M-Squared had a long wait time on the phone when trying to cancel when she moved.

We've got Vodafone Naked broadband - $55 a month 10GB. We generally don't use it all but it goes to dial-up speeds if you do, and you can buy extra GB if you need it. I may actually upgrade to 30GB for the extra $10 so we can watch streamed TV and stuff (like TVNZ on demand through our Playstation Play).

Customer Service - had a bit of an issue when we moved. They couldn't tell initially if the exchange would be able to handle their broadband so said they'd pass it on to "Procurement" to check. A week later I'd heard nothing so called back and they hadn't done anything, which they were apologetic for. They then gave us a connection date two weeks in the future, which would have left us without broadband for nearly three weeks, so they agreed to give us the next month free. Which I thought was quite decent of them. Wait times aren't too bad and you can also go into a Vodafone store.

We had a whole other issue with Chorus, the contractor sent out to connect us, on the day which resulted in another 5 days' delay.

What does "naked" broadband mean, if anything? Sounds a bit kinky

(it is a serious question though - we take ownership of a house soon so my get-connected hat is on...)

Quote Originally Posted by sophiedb View Post
    What does "naked" broadband mean, if anything? Sounds a bit kinky
    Naked or clothed I'm interested in speed. Regarding your experience with ISPs do you find download speed to be reasonable at peak times such as early evening? Mrs RollsRoyce is pretty frugal with most things in life, but the one thing she does seem to need is bandwidth. I'm looking for an ISP with an unlimited (or high) cap and sufficient speed to keep her happy.

Oh and naked broadband appears to be the provision of an internet service without the need for a phone landline account on the line.

RR
    Last edited by RollsRoyce; 31st January 2011 at 10:07 AM.

My understanding of the Vodaphone 'naked' broadband was that it was a 3g wireless set up that provided a landline phone number and interweb but without being connected. So you could install it anywhere with decent 3g cover (stop the guffaws, there are a couple of places in NZ!) and critically move it with you when you moved house - so ideal for renters.
    However, that doesn't quite fit with the problems described above.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    My understanding of the Vodaphone 'naked' broadband was that it was a 3g wireless set up that provided a landline phone number and interweb .
    Nope - 'Naked' means unconnected with a phone number - you have to have the line or in 3G case the wireless connection but in both cases if there is no telephone number associated with it, it can be deemed as being 'naked'

As far as I know the only non capped data service is from Slingshot but even this was for a limited number of customers so I don't know if it is still available.

It is ADSL as we had to have someone come out to the house and connect some wire thingies! Our wireless "rowter" is also plugged into the telephone socket so it is not based on 3G technology as far as I'm aware. It seems to be consistent with all our other wireless internet connections. Details are here. It says "maximum" for speed - but I have no idea what that is and I'm assuming (this being NZ and all) that it depends entirely on where you live!

And "Naked" means we don't have a home phone line. Have no need for one so didn't see the point in paying for something we don't require.

Quote Originally Posted by Manks View Post
    It says "maximum" for speed - but I have no idea what that is and I'm assuming (this being NZ and all) that it depends entirely on where you live!
    Do a speedtest on it. You should get a minimum for 5mbts down and 500kbt ups

Quote Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow View Post
    Do a speedtest on it. You should get a minimum for 5mbts down and 500kbt ups
    How'd I do that then?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast