Thread: Social work in New Zealand?

Default Social work in New Zealand?

Hello,

My partner and I are considering moving to New Zealand from the UK- we are both qualified social workers with some experience and are wondering how easy (or difficult!) it is to get a job there? My partner works in adult services and I am employed in child protection.

If anyone could help us any of with the following that would be much appreciated...
    - How much experience is generally required for children or adults
    - Which locations would we be more likely to find work?
    - Have social work job prospect been affected by the recent global recession in New Zealand?
    - any other info relating to social work in New Zealand would be great too...

Thank you!

Default Welcom

Hello there and welcome to the forum.

Here is a link you may find useful http://anzasw.org.nz/ as it seems to be THE body to belong to from all the social workers I've worked with.

Social workers here seem to have a greater choice of work, that is only my opinion though. It doesn't appear to be as prescriptive as it is in the UK so you may be pleasantly surprised just where you could end up.

I regularly see positions advertised for qualified social workers here in Dunedin's local press and from that I take that you wouldn't find it too difficult to find a job.

Good luck with your journey

Jeannie

Hi

I'm a child protection sw and arrived in NZ in Sept 2010. I am in a small town and my only advice would be to go to cities like Auckland, Wellington or Hamilton there seem to be more jobs going in those areas. I am not working yet but arrived with the thought to give myself a break and coming up to xmas and until Feb there is little happening in the job market. I have applied for many and have only got shortlisted for two and have interviews later this week.

Keep an eye on the Child YOuth and Family website they advertise their posts on their website. I was also in touch with an agency called NZ social Work Recruitment based in Palmerston North who have been very helpful and talk you through interivews etc.

There is work but I would recommend that you try to set this up from the UK before you come if you are able to.

Good luck

Bernie

Hi welcome!!! good Luck with your job search!

Thanks, that's all really useful! We are thinking of possibly going late October, would that be not a good time to start looking then since it is quite close to Christmas? I have also heard the South island has less job opportunities than the North, is this generally the case?
    Cheers

South Island only has a population of around 900,000 people, and roughly a third of them are in Christchurch, so you can see that any profession based on working for/with people's needs is going to be in less demand than somewhere with higher population density.

This comment is in general terms, and a social worker already in place might have a different view? October arrival - unless you struck lucky with a job offer straight away (and even then, the formalities before a start might well take longer in NZ than you're used to), the whole recruitment process is likely to slow right down in mid-December, and not pick up till end January/beginning February, so you would have to be able to support yourselves on money brought with you until after that.

CYF is always hiring and there is a reason for that. Just saying. And I know cause I work there.

My perspective is that of an American one I and I feel that there are very few roles in which social workers play in NZ. In the US I had the ability to work in many more jobs and even lost a qualification that does not apply in NZ (my clinical license).

I struggle with my current position and I know that it's not indicitive of all social work in NZ. I have been looking for a new job and feel restricted to certain domains (i.e. health). I've had to let a lot go in regards to my ethical standards and work practices in order to have the life of living in NZ. So for me it's been a constant mind-battle--do I want to live in NZ and have minimal work satisifaction (and VERY LOW PAY) and high personal life satisfaction or return to the US and have it reversed. That's a question only you can answer.

And as others mentioned the North Island does have a higher population so more options.

Hi

Were looking to move to Auckland this year, I am a Social Worker. I have been looking for jobs online and agree that most the jobs working with adults appear to be in the Mental Health sector (ADHB). I would like to know how much the support worker roles are paid compared to a Social Work role, does ayone know a general figure?

There seems to be many Children & families roles, although personaly I do not really want to go back into this area as prefer working with adults.