Thread: Selling second hand furniture

Default Selling second hand furniture

What is the best way of selling stuff you don't need in NZ? Has anybody any experience of selling on Trademe? We have way too much furniture for our new house and about 50 boxes of stuff I haven't opened for the last three months, so I probably don't need that either! The fees on Trademe seem pretty steep, and I know when I sold a load of things on Ebay before we left, Paypal took a hefty chunk of my filthy lucre! I could try a yard sale, but in my experience these are best for small stuff that people browse and buy on impulse, not large items of furniture. Ideas please!

There are a couple of ways really, either a garage sale or Trademe.
    It's probably best to go to a couple of garage sale first to see how they work, and Trademe can be a bit hit and miss, it depends on what you are selling and what you want as a minimum price.

Cath XX

We've found that you generally get far more money for larger items/furniture etc on trademe as there are always new immigrants etc scouring for furniture when they arrived with very little. You can check out the expired listings to get an idea of how much stuff sells for and set your reserve price appropriately. But if you are selling smaller stuff and inexpensive clothing items, you can get more at a garage sale or car boot sale because people don't have to pay postage on top for things that aren't worth that much.

sold varoius solid pine furniture and a couple of sofa on trademe as well as a whole kitchen, good quality furniture wne tvery quick and I was shocked at the price the kitchen went for especially as it was the dreaded blue colour

We just sold everything we own on TradeMe. It is a great way to get rid of stuff, but can become a second job if you have a lot. If you have a yard, you might want to consider a yard sale for the small things. I have had more buyers flake on TradeMe than eBay which can be annoying.

Thanks for all the advice, so, it's Trademe for big stuff and a garage sale for the smaller stuff then. I think I will go to a garage sale to see how it's done here, I'll just have to be strong and avoid the tempatation to come home with armfuls of someone elses junk!

Cheers

Fiona

Temptation - doh I should read what I've written before I post!

https://www.secondhand.nz/ this website do not charge to sell items. I too am stuck with having to pay trade me for items I have sold. Seems I have done all the hard work and they have messed me around, they had canceled my item by having it removed then they realised they had a glitch which left me having to pay again to sell the item only to have the guy not read that the camera had to be a pick up only!? I am in the process of putting my things on this free classified site to see how I go. Let me know what you think.

I use the local auction house "Auction Kings" here in Tauranga and like everything there is a cost but i found them to be helpful and honest and got a lot more for my items than i expected also i didnt have the aggravation of Trademe and buyers turning up on the doorstep or arranging suitable times which can be a long drawn out process. Not saying that every auction house is the same can only speak as i find but to help you i did a look up on google for Nelson and found:

http://www.lipscombeauctioneers.co.nz/

also

J W Auctions with a phone number: 03 5451866

Worth a look i would say and make your own mind up.....good luck