Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone experience in driving from south island to north island?

Just hope the sun is shining and enjoy the great views sailing out through the Marlborough sounds, wondering who lives in those houses only accessible by boat, then look out for birds and sealife whilst crossing the Cook Strait, before watching Wellington coming into view and the journey round the coast into the city's harbour.

Interislander - My OH works on the Aratere

Please check sophiedb's post from 21:02; and I know quite some people like her relatives.
    @Ralf, I did not see Sophie's post at the time I was writing mine, and did not check after, so apologies if I misinterpreted.
    I have not met anyone who did not know aboout the two ferries, but Interislander is definitely the one which is better known as the passenger- carrying one.
    There are sailings on the Bluebridge (the late ones) which are mainly for freight, some spaces for cacrs might be available, though.

Regarding the weather- yes, checking the weather beforehandfd is a good idea, but not everyone is able to just cancel the trip if the weather doesn't suit......

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    @Ralf, I did not see Sophie's post at the time I was writing mine, and did not check after, so apologies if I misinterpreted.
    Dafuer nich! (= No worries! {JandM} )

Occasionally our threads are little bit ill-structured.

I cannot believe I've actually just sat and read all the replies in this post. Is it some kind of weird wind-up? Honestly, I really am a very tolerant person so in the nature of that tolerance I thought I would contribute another option for you in your quest to determine whether anyone has ever driven from Christchurch to Wellington:

So, take the SH1 from Christchurch and when you get to Blenheim, instead of driving the few miles further to Picton, go left to Nelson. Once you get there, enquire which of the container ships might take you up to Auckland (there are two each week). After your two day journey, and once you depart the container terminal in Auckland (and go through your MAF checks, of course) rejoin the SH1 and head South until you get to Wellington.

Happy travelling.

As far as I'm aware, driving from the South Island to the North Island has only been done once. You'll need an amphibious Toyota Town-Ace.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2838...ss-Cook-Strait

Quote Originally Posted by Jon&Candy View Post
    As far as I'm aware, driving from the South Island to the North Island has only been done once. You'll need an amphibious Toyota Town-Ace.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2838...ss-Cook-Strait
    Sounds like a challenge for the Top Gear team

Maybe you can borrow the converted one from the real estate guys here in Blenheim (Harcourts? No, I think, first National.......).

Quote Originally Posted by icemaiden View Post
    I cannot believe I've actually just sat and read all the replies in this post. Is it some kind of weird wind-up? Honestly, I really am a very tolerant person so in the nature of that tolerance I thought I would contribute another option for you in your quest to determine whether anyone has ever driven from Christchurch to Wellington:

So, take the SH1 from Christchurch and when you get to Blenheim, instead of driving the few miles further to Picton, go left to Nelson. Once you get there, enquire which of the container ships might take you up to Auckland (there are two each week). After your two day journey, and once you depart the container terminal in Auckland (and go through your MAF checks, of course) rejoin the SH1 and head South until you get to Wellington.

Happy travelling.
    I needed a good laugh today

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123