Thread: Renting Without Having a Job

Default Renting Without Having a Job

We're arriving in Christchurch in late July and will be interviewing for jobs at the same time as looking for somewhere to rent. We'll stay in a motel initially, but would like to get a flat fairly early on. I'm trying to find out what NZ landlords generally require in terms of references and what paperwork was requested of forumites when they first arrived and rented.

I've read about landlords wanting landlord references and/or employer references. The former I don't have the the latter seems counter intuitive for a job I've just left.

Is it realistic to rent before getting a job, or am I going to have to wait until fully employed before renting?

RR

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Neither of our landlords wanted any references at all. They were both happy having met us and agreeing that we seemed trustworthy. That's not to say all landlords will be the same.

Do you have any contacts at all in NZ? Could you supply them with other proof such as bank statements?

Quote Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
    We're arriving in Christchurch in late July and will be interviewing for jobs at the same time as looking for somewhere to rent. We'll stay in a motel initially, but would like to get a flat fairly early on. I'm trying to find out what NZ landlords generally require in terms of references and what paperwork was requested of forumites when they first arrived and rented.

I've read about landlords wanting landlord references and/or employer references. The former I don't have the the latter seems counter intuitive for a job I've just left.

Is it realistic to rent before getting a job, or am I going to have to wait until fully employed before renting?

RR

Our Landlord (or the agency) never cross checked references, I think they gathered all this information for formality sake.

We had no problems. We had owned our own home for 20+ years before arriving, so had no landlords references. However we had stayed in furnished holiday rental for a couple of weeks so the landlords accepted that as one reference, and they contacted my old employers for another.

Think they really just want something from someone who will say that you are good, reliable and relatively neat and tidy and don't cause mass mayhem and destruction!

A friend in OZ had the same problem and the solution there was to increase the bond paid.

I doubt that you will find it too much of a problem though.

That’s reassuring to hear. It seems that there are landlords willing to be reasonable about reference checks. We don’t yet have anyone in NZ who can vouch for us, but have friends and employer in the UK who can attest to our trustworthiness.

Now just got to figure which parts of Christchurch to concentrate on. Looking for a 1-2 bed flat in a decent area within easy reach of shops and 30 mins of the CBD. Any suggestions?

Most of Christchurch is within 30 minutes of the CBD. I cross from Sumner to Sockburn/Upper Riccarton in 25-30 minutes most days (though it can be slightly longer at rush hour)

If you have time when you arrive have a drive around the various suburbs before choosing a place. It lets you get a feel for the areas and what is available in each of them.

Thanks M&C. That’s precisely what we plan to do…and you’ve just reminded me to check for adequate parking when looking at flats.

Same with our landlord - once we explained circumstances that we had just relocated from UK and had never rented before he was happy enough. You'll probably get the same with some of the utilities companies also asking for references

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by Starkus71 View Post
    You'll probably get the same with some of the utilities companies also asking for references
    Didn't have any such issue with Powershop.