Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NZ Removal Companies - Wellington?

Default NZ Removal Companies - Wellington?

Can anyone recommend a removals company in the Wellington region (or a nation-wide one) that they have used to shift from one property to another within NZ?

We've got 4 weeks to arrange a removal but Yellow Pages online has 4 pages full of removal companies I've never heard of & have also seen that most removals are charged on an hourly basis here! Anyone found someone who charges a flat rate so we don't get ripped off?

I can't actually recommend anyone in the Wellington area, but we are moving next week and we approached the NZ agents of the shipping company (NZ Vanlines for PSS) with a view to them giving us a quote.

Unfortunately they do not do NZ address to NZ address moves, but did recommend a firm. Perhaps you could do the same.

We did contact three or four firms when we discovered they charge by the hourly rate and it does seem that this is the way it is done over here. Best rate we got was $90 per hour. They estimate the total move will take 6 hours ( including their travelling time to and from us), so for less that £250 we get all our stuff moved 30 Km. We are happy with that.

The secret here is to have eveything already boxed up and I will certainly be prepared to carry some of the boxes to the lorry if that helps speed things up.

Dave & Pam

Thanks Dave & Pam,

We moved over here with PSS/NZ Vanlines too - (don't know where you're living in NZ but must say I was more impressed on the UK side than the NZ side (Welly) though). $90- an hour sounds quite a good rate - I've been quoted up to $155!!! I think the Yellow Pages and the phone are going to be busy tomorrow!!!

One of the companies I contacted yesterday told me they supply boxes for free but they don't have any at the moment - so how the heck am I supposed to move a 3-bed house's contents with them? :? Cracked me up! That's like trying to sell a package holiday without accommodation!

We used the Moving co twice. Once for moving from no.3 to no.1 (ie next door) and once a couple of k down the road. I actually preferred the hourly rate because it kept it very manageable. I think they charged $20 per hour per man and I just "ordered" 4 men. The second time I did the same + a truck, boxes and moving blankets. They will stay to put things back together or unpack if you want them to and otherwise you just write out a cheque and send them home. I found them very flexible and hard working, although all those sorts of companies come across as cowboys they came through on the day. They didn't even complain about the 100k washing machine and knew how to put the special gadget for moving it in!
    ( also have a 50k round fridge and a 50k dryer and lots of stairs and steep garden paths)

Good luck!

Miep

Thanks Miep - good tips. Fingers crossed the removal will go smoothly but I'll just be glad to get into our own place! :P

Hire a van dude and do it the Kiwi way - DIY!

Yes I would if I didn't have RSI & Ian had spine surgery 2 years ago & can't lift at all!!!

I'd rather pay for 3 men & a 20ft truck than risk NZ hospital bills for us both!

When is the big day Sarah???
    Can't be too far off now..

A week on Friday We can't wait - living in a house full of half-packed boxes at the moment! Off to sign the mortgage docs this Friday morning. :mrgreen: You'll have to come round for coffee once I've got unpacked (or something a little stronger!)

you're on pet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast