Thread: Opening bank account on reccie trip?

Default Opening bank account on reccie trip?

We are going to be in NZ for 2 1/2 weeks in the spring (US spring) and were thinking about opening a bank account.

We are staying in hotels only for 2 nights and then we will be touring in a campervan for 2 weeks.

Do you have to have proof of a NZ address?

I have a friend in AKL who I know would let me use her address if I needed to.

Thanks.

Westpac did insist on address but it was not a showstopper for us, we explained that we'd just arrived and they went ahead with opening the account. Generally, I think you can open bank account.

My folks opened an ASB account last time they visited and IIRC they used their UK home address. They just get hammered for tax on any interest they earn but what they get is peanuts so it didn't bother them.

Mrs B

Some banks dont require proof of address, you just give it. A UK address is fine and has no bearing on your tax rate. however, if you are non resident, you would pay 10% due to the agreement. BNZ for deffo will do this for you. You need 2 forms of ID.

We did this with BNZ last year, online before our reccie trip, then on arrival in NZ we went to an agreed bank, showed our ID and were given cash cards instantly and eftpos cards within 3 days..............was v.easy.

Its now our main account and the service continues to be fab.