Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two (or so) weeks in...we love it here!

Quote Originally Posted by anthony View Post
    I am glad that all is fine four you and the dogs. I'm about to begin my separation anxiety from my golden..it will last more than 6 moths..

I think you can change your location now.
    Thank you for sharing.
    For us it was just shy of six months "back then" of actual separation; it took a bit of time to compensate it all.
    So all the best and ...

And location changed!

BTW is "central" Kerikeri; I lost oversight?!

ralf-nz -- KeriKeri is Bay of Islands area but we are north of that...by about 45mins. We're near Mangonui...

was that your question?

cheers

So funny that MAF took your plastic bamboo plant away. I wonder why?

The area I live in is crawling with black widow spiders. It takes me about five minutes to find one if visiting Kiwi friends/family are keen to see a black widow. As they usually crawl into a crack or hole when disturbed, I'm paranoid that I'm going to bring one along in my container yet I want to bring my outdoor furniture. How did you ensure your outdoor things were spider free? Hmmm - I have a tightly built outdoor shed. Perhaps I could put everything in the shed and set off a bug-bomb. Did you take any extraordinary precautions?

we paid $13,500 U.S. to get our 40 ft container here (includes maf & insurance & trucking it up 5 hrs North of Auckland)

That's not bad for a 40' container shipped all the way to the far north! I've been talking with Allied as they have a local rep. Ranier quoted me a little less than $10,000 for a 20' but Allied quoted me by the lb. He said my shipment will cost me $200 for every $100 lbs - and that 'it might not be worth taking a lot of books'. But Allied's quote (without seeing my stuff) was about the same. Allied also told me absolutely no food - but you were allowed canned goods, etc. so I think I'll stick with Ranier.

I man I spoke with at the NZ Embassy in DC told me that all my belongings have to be at least six months old....nothing new. I was also elated to hear that as a NZ citizen, I won't have to pay any duty, etc. on my container.

It's -11 celsius this morning. I'm counting the days.
    Last edited by Dell; 4th February 2011 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cantwait View Post

does that answer your questions? Good luck to you!
    Thanks for the info.

WOW!
    That was an amazing post! I just read it aloud to my significant other and we are both so pleased! We appreciate you taking the time to write all of that out. It is so funny to see things that people say on here that we have pondered ourselves. It's nice to know! Thank you again for your VERY helpful post!

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    I've been talking with Allied as they have a local rep. Ranier quoted me a little less than $10,000 for a 20' but Allied quoted me by the lb. He said my shipment will cost me $200 for every $100 lbs - and that 'it might not be worth taking a lot of books'. But Allied's quote (without seeing my stuff) was about the same. Allied also told me absolutely no food - but you were allowed canned goods, etc. so I think I'll stick with Ranier.
    We used the local Allied rep in CT - Siracusa. Our 20' container cost $7.5k and we got "weight is not a factor" written on our quote. Our container did take "the scenic route" and three months/4 ships to get here. A couple of minor damages (claim currently under way) but all in all OK. Cheaper than every other quote by $1k.

Quote Originally Posted by Manks View Post
    We used the local Allied rep in CT - Siracusa. Our 20' container cost $7.5k and we got "weight is not a factor" written on our quote. Our container did take "the scenic route" and three months/4 ships to get here. A couple of minor damages (claim currently under way) but all in all OK. Cheaper than every other quote by $1k.
    Thanks for this info. You shipped from CT and paid $7.5K yet my quote from AZ was almost $10K? That doesn't make sense 'cause I'm closer to NZ! I think I'll have to ask for another quote and ask why someone from CT paid 2.5K less! The scenic route is just fine with me.

When the tsunami hit Japan, I thought of the members here, hoping no one's container ship was in a Japanese port.

I met cantwait and OH two weeks ago in Doubtless Bay. So nice to meet them and see their wonderful cottage, etc. that they've built. I asked LOTS of questions in a short period of time. Thanks to C & D for your hospitality and info!!

It all sounds fantastic! Congratulations

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12