Thread: Bringing children's toys into NZ

Default Bringing children's toys into NZ

Quick question - has anyone had any problems brininging in kid's toys into NZ???

on the NZ Customs Service website it has a list of Prohibited Imports

http://www.customs.govt.nz/importers...ts/default.htm

Now I can quite understand why I am restriced from bringing in Anti-personnel mines and Marine Mammals eg seal, dolphins. Not that I plan bringing any of these when we move; although it will be a wrench to leave the Patagonian toothfish at home

but it does state under prohibited items:

<paste>
    Children’s nightwear, children’s toys, certain pistol crossbows, cots, candles containing lead in their wicks, candle wicks containing lead, baby walkers and so on
    <paste>

Has anyone had any experience of this or is the devil in the detail and we are talking about toys with lead in etc.

It will be traumatic enough for our daughter to make the move without seeing the Nasty Man from Customs (who, I am sure, is actually a very nice man) take away Mrs Snuffles, Crinklebug and Lewis The Bear (and all the others) and for them never to be seen again......

Ta

Simon

We bought a mass of childrens toys which went through without being checked, wish I hadn't declared the drum from Africa as this ended up having to be destroyed

We used it as an excuse to cull all the old / tired / broken toys, but brought lots for our 3 - they didn't even look at them.

We brought toys in the shipment and toys in the cases and nobody looked at any of them.

Our kids handled the change much better than we did!

Our DS's bike was the only thing they inspected, not intrested in any other toys and there were loads!!!!

Same for us... toys in the luggage when we flew, toys in the box I shipped to OH when he got here before us, toys in the container. None of it was a problem although his bike was inspected by MAF.

The only thing I did do was take the batteries out of various toys that were going in the container.

HTH & good luck with your move
    Mrs. B.

Hi Simon,
    I remember there was a thread sometime back (not totally related but you might get some rough idea with this info)

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30740

Hi there

I had the exact same question to my movers 6 mnths ago. They had never heard of any problems. We culled alot of toys but took alot too (too expensive to build up again over here!) and had NO issues.. We kept the kids bikes out for inspection but they were fine - hadnt been anywhere other than the Estate we lived in!

DH reckons that clause is there for importers from Countries where the toys/clothes do not meet NZ/UK standards.

So Bring whatever you want!

Thanks guys - I thought that this might well be the case.

A good chance to cull the toy population though as I reckon if we did a headcount they could fill a container on their own.....

BTS

Quote Originally Posted by Bythesea View Post
    A good chance to cull the toy population though as I reckon if we did a headcount they could fill a container on their own.....
    Yup, DD's were the same. Even after a load of car boot sales, nearly new sales and a final garage sale.. there were loads!