Thread: Credit References

Default Credit References

I was just reading the Living Guide from Immigration Govt, Part 2 - On arrival and therein mention is made of "Documents, credit references and driver licences
    Your first few days in New Zealand are more likely to be easy and
    problem-free if you arrive with the following documents:
    • birth certificates
    • marriage certificates
    • academic qualifications
    • references from previous employers
    • curriculum vitae
    credit references
    • an international driver licence or permit."

I am trying to figure out in what conditions in NZ are credit reference needed? I've checked for home loan and no mention is made.

Thanks to throw some light.

JM

Can't help with that, we didn't have any "credit Ref'......we had some bank statements to show the letting agents but that was it. Hope some-one else knows more.

May be a historic note, I didn't bring anything with me. Not even old bank statements. All I showed was my work contract, and then got a credit card on day 1, used that a lot and paid it off in full each month, hence built a responsible record. Had a car on finance that I paid off in full early, then arranged another loan through toyota finance. and yesterday I got an unsolicited offer for a loan from the bank which went straight in the bin. Over here then the system seems to work on an adverse rating basis - ie you're trusted until you stuff up, as opposed to the UK where you can't get credit unless you've had it before.

Some service(s) providers will not ask for a "bond" if you have this requested credit history.

Ok, so what is that 'credit history'? It's not something that I've ever heard of in the UK, where all the credit giving organisations subscribe to a database run by equifax or equivalent. You can buy a summary print out of those, but is that what's meant.

When I first opened bank account with Westpac, they told me 6 month bank statement from UK would suffice if I was interested in home loan (and if I didnt have any local credit history). Can't remember any other event when "credit reference" as a term was used

We've not been asked for this at all and got a credit card and car finance for a second vehicle (with 10% deposit) and we're not even here with PR - just 3 year work visas. OH just had to submit copy of employment contract and he'd only been in his job for 3 weeks.