Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pocket money

Default pocket money

what's the going rate for 13 and 8? our 13 yr old daughter seems to buy the majority of her clothes with her own money so considering a raise.

$2 a week.
    But for that you want the car washed and the lawns mowed....twice.
    And the garage cleaned.
    And the attic...etc....etc...

Nick.

We're just considering instigating pocket money for our 9yr old. Were thinking around $5 but with some conditions for e.g.

$2 MUST be put into long term savings
    $2 can be spent or used for shorter term saving
    $1 to be put aside to pay for gifts for other people

We're also going to expect certain things to have been done... e.g. making his bed, putting uniform tidely away each night, sorting out his school bag, doing homework etc. Not quite worked out all the details yet.

HTH
    Anneliese

My mom used a weighted scale for my siblings allowance that broke down into something like this:

Chores = $10
    Sports (like wrestling or football) = $5
    Volunteering = $10
    Boy/Girl Scouts = $5
    Good grades = $50 per class, per quarter
    etc

And then for every $1 saved, she would add .50 per month.

AT 13, I got $25/week to pay for my expenses--though this didn't include clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoat View Post
    AT 13, I got $25/week to pay for my expenses--though this didn't include clothes.
    Similar to me then. I got £10 per week from the age of 11 (basically my child benefit) back in 1988, but with that I had to buy all my own clothes apart from school uniform and winter coats, plus presents for birthday parties, going out with friends and everything else I wanted. I soon learnt that although it sounds like loads, it didn't go very far at all. I started babysitting as soon as I started high school at age 12 to supplement my pocket money and actually allow me to start saving up for Uni. My dad used to make a big deal about inspecting our bedrooms every Saturday afternoon before handing over the money....not sure why he bothered with me as I my room was always completely spotless, but my sister used to shove all the junk sitting round her room into a black plastic bin bag and shove it in the bathroom for the duration of his inspection, then as soon as she'd got her money she would empty it all over her floor again.

If that wasn't extreme enough, when I was 16 (1993) and doing my A Levels my dad decided I should learn to budget ready for going to Uni, so he bought a second small fridge and emptied out a kitchen cupboard, both for me. I had a £12 per week allowance to feed myself. Actually I didn't find this a problem being veggie, and I still had enough for a 99p Tesco cherry madeira loaf every week

I don't plan on doing anything quite so extreme with my kids. They almost never ask for anything, and I plan on avoiding giving them any pocket money until the oldest decides to ask for any.

$2 a week for my 9 year old - no specific requirements apart from that he's generally helpful around the house and chips in as part of the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Tia Maria View Post
    no specific requirements apart from that he's generally helpful around the house and chips in as part of the family.
    I like that idea I'd much rather kids learnt to help out as part of a family when they see something that needs doing as opposed to having them do specific tasks. Mine don't have responsibility for any particular jobs, but I do expect them to help out if I ask them to assist with something like emptying the dishwasher or hanging out the washing etc.

taking all these things into account and the effort reward idea, I am pleased to announce that my daughter will from this weekend be paying me $1034 a week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast