Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Made It

Congrats on arriving and getting things sorted.

I have learned over the last 10 years that the "conspiracy theories" are more likely true than the official stories.

I like that NZ doesn't continuously spout the official Western propaganda.

In fact, my FAVORITE thing about the Kiwis is that they are so well informed and politically aware.

I mean this in the nicest possible way--but maybe it's you? I mean, the US media is practically a state run propaganda machine.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoat View Post
    Congrats on arriving and getting things sorted...
    Thanks.

...I have learned over the last 10 years that the "conspiracy theories" are more likely true than the official stories...
    My engineer's mind wants to challenge you on this, but getting context online is just too much of a chore; I'm sure we'd have an interesting conversation in person.

...I like that NZ doesn't continuously spout the official Western propaganda...
    I find that refreshing as well.

...In fact, my FAVORITE thing about the Kiwis is that they are so well informed and politically aware...
    I haven't been here long enough to have a valid opinion, but I enjoy the company of well-informed and politically aware people.

..I mean this in the nicest possible way--but maybe it's you?...
    No, it's not me. I don't mind discussing any point of view, as long as there's a factual or logical basis behind it (otherwise you're debating unsupported theories), but to hear a call-in programme host accept without question callers' misstatements of history, or theories that are not widely accepted, just seems a bit irresponsible to me. Hey, I know it's entertainment, but I think a bit more context would satisfy me better.

...I mean, the US media is practically a state run propaganda machine...
    Not sure how to take this. It certainly isn't true, and I'd be curious to know how you could come to such a conclusion, but (1) I'm not sure you're being entirely serious, and (2) that discussion would lead us far afield, and seems irrelevant to most forum participants anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sks View Post
    Not sure how to take this. It certainly isn't true, and I'd be curious to know how you could come to such a conclusion, but (1) I'm not sure you're being entirely serious, and (2) that discussion would lead us far afield, and seems irrelevant to most forum participants anyway.
    As duncan would say "horses for courses". I am surprised to hear you say this though(GG is entirely serious). The propaganda engine is running fierce in the us. On the other side I have heard some pretty ridiculous stories about the us here.

Quote Originally Posted by eassae View Post
    ...The propaganda engine is running fierce in the us...
    The problem I have with statements such as this (or GG's prior comment) is that there are so many different news sources available that the concept of a monolithic "media machine" whose levers are controlled (or even significantly influenced) by the US government is just silly, really. Is there "media bias"? Sure. It's limited, though, and it's (current) influence is limited as well. Anyone who relies solely on the evening news telecast for the maturation of their geopolitical views is going to have a pretty narrow viewpoint, IMHO.

...On the other side I have heard some pretty ridiculous stories about the us here...
    Right, that's all I was saying. I probably shouldn't have mentioned it, since it might appear as though I were belittling Kiwi media, which was not my intention; heck, I've only been here a week, so I wouldn't even attempt such a broad generalization.

In the US, I had plenty of conversations with immigrants who were frustrated with the views that Americans had of their countries of origin, and which were constantly reinforced via news sources. I didn't take that as criticism of the US in general (maybe it was and maybe I should have, but life's too short).

Apologies/explanations now over. I've got two appointments to look at housing options on Saturday, and I really hope that I can close out this phase of my move and bring my family over soon.

I've got two appointments to look at housing options on Saturday, and I really hope that I can close out this phase of my move and bring my family over soon.
    I hope one works out. We came over with just a weeks temporary accommodation. I know it can be stressful.

Well, I finally arrived on Thursday after what seemed like an endless journey. I was concerned since I departed NY in a snow and ice storm and had to connect in Milwaukee (not known for its great weather, either), but had no issues.

Company were fantastic -- had me met at the airport with my brand new company vehicle and arranged accommodation for the night on the North Shore. I was (and still am) very apprehensive about driving on the left, and had to drive to Hamilton first thing yesterday, so I did a few practice runs around the North Shore before the sun went down. If you were driving behind a new X-Trail piloted by a clueless driver on Thursday afternoon, that was likely me -- sorry!

Made it to Hamilton no problem; first order of business was to activate bank account that had been opened from overseas. Took about 15 minutes, and would have been less except the EFTPOS card they had waiting for me was somehow defective and they had to issue another. Super service, but I do have to mention that I also exchanged some US currency at the bank and got a terrible rate compared to what I received at the airport on Thursday, so I'd say it pays to compare rates if you're exchanging a considerable sum (I wasn't) -- there are banks everywhere. I also don't understand why the exchange rate on wired funds that I had sent predeparture was so much better (this was BNZ, BTW).

Arrived at new office and was told they hadn't even expected me to start until Monday, but picked up mobile and laptop and submitted reimbursement voucher for travel expenses, met the team, had lunch with my boss, and toured the project site that I'll be responsible for, so a good start overall. Not overwhelmed with company-arranged lodging, but it'll do for now. It's certainly convenient -- 5 minutes to the office, at most. Was invited to join one of my colleagues for a little friendly pistol shooting tomorrow afternoon --that should be fun. I suppose many Kiwis think all Americans are crack shots; I'll try not to embarrass my countrymen.

So now I just need to sort permanent lodging for the family, whom I miss terribly. They're flying out next weekend, so not a lot of time to do so (made worse since we're settling in Auckland, but I'm lodging in Hamilton).

First impressions (in no particular order) -- very efficient and friendly services here. If you know what barbecue sauce is in the US, do NOT expect the local version to be similar (frankly, it tasted more like a spicy marinara). Wine is quite expensive by the glass in restaurants, but dirt cheap by the bottle. Kiwi women are gorgeous (that's for you single guys out there -- I'm not). If you're from any country that drives on the right, take a local copilot with you on your first couple of trips if at all possible.

Any forumites in the Hamilton area up for a drink or coffee in the next couple of days, let me know -- I'd welcome the company and local experience.
    Congratulations on your safe arrival and flying start! I am in Atlanta and looking to make that trip later on in the year! Im looking at aukland depending on the job! I am in the environmental, civil, construction area..what about you?

Quote Originally Posted by west indies View Post
    Congratulations on your safe arrival and flying start! I am in Atlanta and looking to make that trip later on in the year! Im looking at aukland depending on the job! I am in the environmental, civil, construction area..what about you?
    Check my previous posts -- I'm in construction management. Suggest you PM me, as we have several openings at the moment (in Auckland and Hamilton), depending on your particular skills.

Congradzzzz on your move! By the way good one!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12