Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Journey Home

Wouldn't it be wonderful if it sold that quickly!!! Good luck!

Lucky you for having no cancellation penalty - I didn't read our initial contract carefully enough in the beginning and didn't think I had an early cancellation policy either...but there it is, in black and white. Lucky it expires in 5 weeks anyway.

Life in limbo.

House has been on the market for a couple of months. 30 realtors visited for an open house. Rave reviews and not a single person said the price was too high, but rave reviews and a good price haven't sold it yet. Only three viewings in the past six weeks for a total of about 8 since the house was listed. A seriously interested couple viewing it on Sunday. Crossing my fingers.

Exchange rate seems to be inching its way back up. More fingers crossed.

I packed up lots of stuff to reduce clutter and now can't find things I need.
    Last edited by Dell; 10th August 2011 at 02:17 AM.

I've also applied for U.S. citizenship. I've been on a green card all these years.

As I'll be spending four months a year in the U.S. I came up with a way to keep my U.S. mobile phone number while I'm gone. I switched from a monthly contract to a pre-paid plan (Verizon). If I top up the account to $100 before leaving for NZ, the minutes are good for a year and I can keep my phone number.

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    I've also applied for U.S. citizenship. I've been on a green card all these years.

Good luck on the citizenship. My husband did it a few years ago and I am really glad we did it. We went through so much hassle getting him into the US, now to leave 11 years later. I wanted the safety net just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwihusker View Post
    Good luck on the citizenship. My husband did it a few years ago and I am really glad we did it. We went through so much hassle getting him into the US, now to leave 11 years later. I wanted the safety net just in case.
    Same for hubby with his UK citizenship - anything else can expire, which could mean MORE PAPERWORK!! *shudder*

This morning I decided to wash everything on my bed, right down to the mattress pad. Of course, half an hour later, the realtor called wanting to show the house in an hour.

In the course of getting the house ready, I made a mad dash to the back garden and almost ran across a HUGE rattlesnake. (reason #5 for why I'm selling and moving back to NZ!)

I had to call the realtor back and ask him to PLEASE don't take people viewing the house into the back garden. Guess today's viewing couple won't be buying the house!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwihusker View Post
    kiwihusker - we've talked about getting US citizenship for my husband before we leave the US in a few years. Did your husband have any hesitancy in applying for it? We're wondering about future tax implications. I'm not sure that will end up being a major concern though as OH is a teacher and I'm sure earnings will be under any mimimum taxable income requirement. Do you know of any good sources for information on this issue?

It's a sign that I've gotta get out of here! Another rattlesnake slithering across the lawn today.

Next viewing is Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    kiwihusker - we've talked about getting US citizenship for my husband before we leave the US in a few years. Did your husband have any hesitancy in applying for it? We're wondering about future tax implications. I'm not sure that will end up being a major concern though as OH is a teacher and I'm sure earnings will be under any mimimum taxable income requirement. Do you know of any good sources for information on this issue?
    I'm not Kiwihusker but can tell you what I've learned so far.

I've been in the U.S. on a green card. If I don't get my citizenship before leaving the U.S. and I stay out of the US for an extended period of time, I lose my green card. (at least, this is my understanding).

However, once you're a US citizen you can come and go as you please...but US citizens living in other parts of the world are still required to file a US tax return. If you're filing and paying taxes in NZ you must still file a US tax return. However, NZ and the US have an agreement that you pay in one country or the other, but not both.

Hope this is what you were asking....

Thanks for the reply Dell. That is the understanding we have of the US tax law as well. I remember the first time I heard that I could be taxed on my overseas income I was outraged! But I think there is a minimum amount that you avoid double taxation on. Not sure what the amount is now but I recall it being about $70k US a number of years ago. The US did not tax you on the initial $70k of your foreign earnings (earned while living in another country) but then some US tax would kick in for earnings over that amount.

Of course I could be completely wrong in my statements above! I am not a tax professional and would never pretend to be. I'm just trying to get my head around citizenship and taxes.

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast