Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tins of paint?

Default Tins of paint?

I have had a peek but seem to be coming up with conficting answers!
    Can anyone advise if you can bring tins of paint in your container?
    While im at it whats the score on batteries and aerosols??
    Many thanks in advance

Yes bring paint as it is mega expensive here, but be sure is very well sealed in case of accident (you don't want your belongings repainted in transit) - you'd be surprised how much stuff gets knocked around. Aerosols I wouldn't bother - they'll explode by the time they arrive - the containers sit in some very hot ports on the way. Batteries - small household ones - we did and they were fine.

All our aerosols got rejected by crown.

TBH Duncan - the removal companies say all sorts because they can't be bothered with the tricky stuff, like don't bring wicker, cane or seagrass, or herbs and spices etc etc - we brought it all and MAF were very happy with it. so aerosols are okay to bring but definitely won't last in the container. Bin or give them away.

By the way - anyone know how long it takes to get your MAF inspection bill - been waiting on ours for 3 months now.

April - Agree. There was debate on ome of the untreated wooden frames for shelves/wardrobes, but worst case we need to pay for treatment. However aerosols were a line in the sand. Other companies may be different I suppose). But Frodo lives 15 miles from where we used to be, and we got the same line from all that quoted us, so it seems likely that would apply.
    Batteries - didn't seem to care about them. No questions there, although I think there was something on the contract about that.
    Paint - we deliberately left as we didn't have significant quantities, so just labelled the room it was from and left for the new owners in case they needed to do any temporary touch ups before they redectorate themselves.

We brought all my perfume and deodorants in aerosol cans...no problem at all. we did put them in a plastic box and covered it in cling film. Packers asked what it was and we said makeup and beauty products.. thats what they wrote on the inventory and packed it in a cardboard box

We all brought all our spices and kitchen stuff..no problem at all as the majority was packed. We have had more problems here with rats then the container voyage and MAF

All batteries came fine but the Aldi rechargeable one won't charge anymore! I guess they got overly discharged.

Personally I would not bring paints as the color schemes (grey) in houses here baffles me and on top of that UK exterior paint won't last in the sunshine here.
    Last edited by mooncalf; 6th February 2011 at 07:07 PM.

Brilliant, the main reason I was asking about paint is that a good friend works as a colour technician and can get me shed loads of the stuff. I remember from last time how pricey it was so I think I cant go wrong with a few large magnolia's and a couple of bright ones!!
    My mum gave me 2 large aerosol cans of proffesional glass and mirror spray I feel I have got too lazy and fallen in love with the stuff to leave behind as its just so so good, think I will risk that one too!
    Thanks guys xx

we brought tins of paint over but crown would only allow us to bring new tins and had to provide the invoices for these tins which we did and ended up having to pay just over$100 in taxes but it was still far cheaper than buying the paint in NZ. we were told how much it would be when the shipment arrived and we paid customs online ourselves. Do not let the shipping company do it as it costs more that way.

Also I have recently upgrade our bedroom furniture, nothing fancy just a mid range Ikea suite, I'm keeping them in original boxes as I wont make them up until we arrive. Will I be stung with duty on them even if they are for our personal use (we dont have heaps of furniture with there being just the two of us)
    Thanks in advance for all your help

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    Also I have recently upgrade our bedroom furniture, nothing fancy just a mid range Ikea suite, I'm keeping them in original boxes as I wont make them up until we arrive. Will I be stung with duty on them even if they are for our personal use (we dont have heaps of furniture with there being just the two of us)
    Thanks in advance for all your help
    In short yes, gst at 15% and possibly duty, you'd need to check on that. Make them up, and the answer will be no.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast