Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceiling insulation

Default Ceiling insulation

My OH and I have just had our offer go unconditional so as of three weeks time we will be the proud owners of our own home in New Zealand . As with all houses it does need some work, mostly cosmetic thankfully, but the one area that needs real improvement before the winter is the insulation in the loft. There is a very small amount there but not enough for the size of the house. OH and I have done the rounds and can't believe the prices for pink batt insulation, so I thought I would ask for help from the wonderful people on here. Can anyone help with advice and costings of ceiling insulation, thickness etc. that can go over existing insulation. All ideas would be gratefully received.

I don't know about costs, sorry, but did you know there is a grant available if the house was built before 2000? Details here: http://www.energywise.govt.nz/fundin...-clean-heating

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Jo View Post
    I don't know about costs, sorry, but did you know there is a grant available if the house was built before 2000? Details here: http://www.energywise.govt.nz/fundin...-clean-heating
    Thanks for this info!

OH and I have done the rounds and can't believe the prices for pink batt insulation....
    You will probably find that the cost to buy the insulation and DIY would amount the same as to pay an installer to source and do the whole job for you.

Something to consider would be how much you can afford to put into the loft. As a general rule in new home construction, you try to fit most insulation you can afford at the time. Key reason is the installation of the insulation before the wall lining stage is a lot easier and less time consuming. Also going to a higher R rating fiberglass (thicker) doesn't take any more time to install.

I'm very impressed with the insulation performance of our house. It's 35C today here in Christchurch and there's no way you'll catch me working outside.

It not the thickness of the insulation but whats called in New Zealand the "R value" (thermal resistance) which is more important. The higher the value the better the insulation. Insulation technology seems to be quite out of date here as pink batts have been phased out of most of Europe at this stage as they are not efficient.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomon View Post
    It not the thickness of the insulation but whats called in New Zealand the "R value" (thermal resistance) which is more important. The higher the value the better the insulation. Insulation technology seems to be quite out of date here as pink batts have been phased out of most of Europe at this stage as they are not efficient.
    David
    Actually it is the combination, and more precise the product, of thickness and thermal resistance value which is important to judge the insulation.

(
    It not the thickness of the insulation but whats called in New Zealand the "R value" (thermal resistance) which is more important. The higher the value the better the insulation.
    The higher the value the better only the insulation material)

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    Actually it is the combination, and more precise the product, of thickness and thermal resistance value which is important to judge the insulation.

( The higher the value the better only the insulation material)
    So are you saying when a product with an r value of 5 and is 100mm thick is not as thermal resistance as a product of r value of 5 and 300mm thick and the 300mm is better tan the 100mm?

David

The stated figures are for the particular product. So if it's supplied in 100mm and stated R value of 5 then that's the same as another product of 300mm and R value of 5. However, if you put two layers of the 100mm in then it would be about twice as insulating as the 300mm version (unlikely to be exactly twice as insulating in reality, but as near as damn it.)

So are you saying when a product with an r value of 5 and is 100mm thick is not as thermal resistance as a product of r value of 5 and 300mm thick and the 300mm is better tan the 100mm?

David
    That has been my understanding. But apparently DBH and BRANZ are using simplified definitions. So in the given example you are right both have the same value though with different thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    The stated figures are for the particular product. So if it's supplied in 100mm and stated R value of 5 then that's the same as another product of 300mm and R value of 5. However, if you put two layers of the 100mm in then it would be about twice as insulating as the 300mm version (unlikely to be exactly twice as insulating in reality, but as near as damn it.)
    This method is used below and between joists or between joist/rafters and above and it helps greatly with thermal bridging.

David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast