Thread: Bringing new Pop Up...mebbe

Default Bringing new Pop Up...mebbe

Now, this is just supposin' we EVAH sell our house...HAAAAAAAAAAA!... ahem...sorry, it's so hysterical to me after trying to sell it now for 9 months...

Ok...I have regained my composure.

We are considering buying a new 2010 pop up camper to bring with us in our 40foot container. I've read the post about bringing an RV...but this pop up is a bit different.

If we go ahead now and buy a new 2010 pop up to bring over WHEN we sell our house ...HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!! sorry, it just cracks me up... would we still have to pay GST on it?

Furthermore, do you think it wise to buy a pop up to bring over or do you think it'd be WISER to wait and buy in NZ?

I believe that if you've owned the pop-top for 12+ months, you can bring it in GST free. Given the cost of most imported goodies in NZ, I'd say bring it either way - or at least compare prices and make your decision based on whether you'll save

Is it a left-hand drive vehicle? If so, you may have trouble importing it to NZ. I seem to remember reading that the rules changed recently to stop l.h.d. vehicle imports.

Thanks. No, there is no driving it, just pulling it. Maybe if we find a used one that we like we wouldn't have to worry about GST. I only worry that it'll fit in the container with all of our other things!!

I don't know whether this will alter your plans regarding make, model or even the purchase altogether, but don't forget that trailers in NZ need to be WOFed and taxed annually, just like a car I don't think it would need to go through the import hoops that a car does though, unless exceedingly heavy or long..

Definition: WOF = warrant of fitness (making sure it is safe, lights work, etc. You have to get this done every six months for a car - not sure about a trailer)

You can find out details on 'light trailers' from NZ Transport Agency here

We shipped our caravan over (a year after we'd arrived in NZ) after seeing the prices and ages of what was on offer here