Thread: Exactly what constitutes 'new'?

Default Exactly what constitutes 'new'?

As a returning NZ citizen, I'm not charged duty on my shipment back to NZ - but the person at the NZ Embassy in Washington told me that everything in my container had to be at least six months old.

Question: I earn my living as an artist so obviously I have brushes, tubes of paint, frames, boards and stretched canvases - as well as foam core, etc. I could buy a box of stretched canvases a year before leaving yet as they're not painted on, obviously they'll appear 'new'. Any way around this? Are exceptions made for things required to earn a living?

(though I guess I could go in and tone each canvas with a pale oil wash).

Thanks in advance for all the brilliant answers

In the case of your work supplies, you would presumably have kept invoices which would show exactly when you'd bought them?

Doesn't matter. They are still 'new'. There's a separate place on the form where you declare 'new' items that you have owned for a medium/long period of time. You need to state their value, and if you do have the invoice then that is requested IIRC.

As for the 6 months, then I'm interested to see where that's written down in the manual. It's often been mentioned, but when I looked it simply said 'used'. Clearly I was looking a while ago and for a new arrival, not returning kiwi, but I thought it was het same document.

I'm not sure how well this in enforced because I brought over a brand new wine cellar unit still in its cardboard box as part of my container and customs examined it and phone me about it,I explained I bought for myself and it was for my own personal use, the officer then asked my would it be used in a commercial use ie. in a restaurant and I quickly answered no then there was no issue at all in this case. IMO If it was for resale it would be a completely different scenario. This is my experience.......

David

Doesn't matter. They are still 'new'.

This is the way I think NZ will see it too. I think perhaps an oil wash over all the canvases will solve the problem....or maybe a few pencil marks. Then it is 'work in progress'.

Duncan is right. I just spoke with a customs officer at the NZ Embassy in Washington DC.
    He specifically looked up 'painting canvas'. All I have to pay is 15% GST....no duty plus a tiny percent of the shipping costs. He said to just include the invoice with the canvas to show how much I paid for them.

Fabulous! That means I can buy up a big supply for my container as it will take me a while to find the equivalent in NZ. Plus they are SO much cheaper in the US.