Thread: RRV new rules

Default RRV new rules

Hey people...its been a while since I have been on here but i need your help please!!!

I may just be thick but I cannot understand what the new rules re RRV mean.

I have PR, lived here for 4.5 years now but never renewed by original RRV when it ran out...now need to but am confused as to what i need to do...if anything?! Anyone here got a better brain than mine to make sense of the new rules?

Thanks
    Andy

It's all just the same as it used to be, but with new names.

You don't need to do anything unless and until you want to leave the country and come back. Within NZ, you're fine as you are.

However, you are now entitled to what USED to be called IRRV, now, confusingly, called a Permanent Resident Visa, which will let you come and go from the country indefinitely. If you contact an INZ office, they'll be able to put that in your passport (for a fee, of course ) http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/i30492.htm

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    However, you are now entitled to what USED to be called IRRV, now, confusingly, called a Permanent Resident Visa,
    ....Although the OP will probably get IRRV if they apply you cannot use the word 'entitled' because it is not an automatic entitlement even if you do fulfil the criteria NZIS get the final say.

Sorry to be picky ....

Thank you...yes calling it permanent residency really confused me...a bear of little brains....
    I did call them earlier but was caller no 25 and after 30mins was caller 22 so gave up...will try again later.

cheers again...or I can wait for 4 months and apply for citizenship..

actually turns out to be very straight forward.
    It was more the wording on the website that confused me.