Thread: Insulation/heating recommendations?

Default Insulation/heating recommendations?

hi all - this is related to the ceiling insulation thread, but slightly different..

We settle on our new house tomorrow - woooooooohoooooooooooo! - but of course the to-do list never stops..

Insulation and improved heating will probably be needed before winter, and we know we're eligible for HeatSmart funding, so.. does anyone (particularly in the Chch area) have any recommendations about who to use?

The website lists oodles of providers in Christchurch, so it'd be good to hear some reviews before ringing round

ta muchly to anyone who can help!

I can't speak for insulation work on existing homes. But for installation of heat pumps, I would recommend SnowTemp in Chch. The reason why I didn't go with them is because newly constructed houses aren't eligible for the eco-grants so I went with a cheaper non-accredited installer.

IMO, I would rank insulation far higher than space heating. With good insulation, you get the benefit of keeping the house cool when it's stinking hot outside.
    Last edited by Super_BQ; 8th February 2011 at 11:04 PM.

Congrats on the house Sophie!

We had new insulation fitted in the ceiling and underneath the house in our new home (1970's single storey) last year. We used Pinkbatts (Blenheim) for the installation.

No problems with Pinkbatts, they were pretty efficient and took 3 young lads less than a day to do it all. They were very tidy too.

Would suggest whoever you use for the insulation that you check how many rolls of batts they have (i) before & (ii) after the job is finished - there were a couple of excess rolls after the work was done on our house so our invoice was adjusted accordingly, saving us a few dollars.

For heat pumps try these guys

http://newzealandheatpumps.co.nz/

They installed two in our house last year, and I know of two other people who have used them with no complaints.

I work for the Energy Saving Centre - we're based in Christchurch and Tauranga. Have a look at our website we do insulation, heat pumps and even Insulglaze double glazing!

www.energysavingcentre.co.nz

And we do the energywise government subsidy!

Claire