Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wellington rental Help

Default Wellington rental Help

Im due to fly out to Wellington 24th Feb to join my wife who is stuck in a tiny temporary apartment at the moment, we are both searching for a decent rental below $500 that will allow 2 house cats.
    My wife was told today by an agent that she has 'no chance' of getting anything at all, as we have 2 cats and never rented before (although we have owned our own home and just paid off the mortgage, both with perfect UK credit ratings)

We are looking for anything 2 bedroom or more, must have parking for 1 car and within easy walk/bus of the main hospital on Riddiford street (wife is a biomedical scientist), but crucially must allow 2 house cats, both well trained and very lazy, just sun bath all day and sleep.
    I love the look of Miramar and ease of shopping in Kilbirnie, but not 100% sold on Newtown or Berhampore areas? Any recommendations of other nice areas or any to avoid? We would prefer to stay below the CBD, for ease of commute to the hospital.

Toby

The parking spot might be asking too much if you want to be near the CBD.

Dont need to be near CBD, prefer below hospital so we dont go anywhere near CBD during rush hour.

Mirmar is an excellent choice. The only issue is that being home of "Wellywood" and with the Hobbitt begining filiming in a few weeks, rentals are not as cheap as other areas. Have you looked at Island Bay? Also a nice place with a good community.

As for cats, a lot of places will allow a cat but often two or more is a problem. Many landlords are happy to accept cats as long as you make sure the carpets are cleaned afterwards.

Agents on the other hand are likely to say "No" because at the moment there are far more renters than rentals so they can take their pick.

If you look on Trade me and search including the keyword "cats" (as in cats OK) you might find a few.

Here's one in Seatoun, which in my opinion is the nicest suburb in Wellington and on the direct bus route to the hospital.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-me-pr...-348460639.htm

(I know it looks like a sauna but maybe you like wood!)

Thanks for the advice, ive now found 7 ok ish places that allow cats.
    Just need to find private landlords now, as they seem happier to discuss pets, offer higher bonds, pay for cleaning, etc..

Seatoun looks lovely, but im a carpenter, so would hate to be surrounded by wood!
    Out of interest what is the public transport like from Seatoun to newtown area? and is there much noise from the airport?

Quote Originally Posted by ybto View Post
    Thanks for the advice, ive now found 7 ok ish places that allow cats.
    Just need to find private landlords now, as they seem happier to discuss pets, offer higher bonds, pay for cleaning, etc..

Seatoun looks lovely, but im a carpenter, so would hate to be surrounded by wood!
    Out of interest what is the public transport like from Seatoun to newtown area? and is there much noise from the airport?
    Number 11 bus runs from Seatoun via Newtown, see http://www.metlink.org.nz/ for the route map and timetables. I think Seatoun has less air traffic noise than Kilbirnie or Miramar, but in any case the airport pretty much closes for the night. Our friends live in Strathmore Park and have said that the noise is not too bad there -they get some noise but it's not too loud or constant. Althought Wellington airport is a fairly busy little airport, it's not exactly Heathrow... The runway approach from both directions is over water (Cook Strait and Wellington Harbour) so you're not going to get too many low-flying planes above Seatoun

Seatoun is fairly expensive, though, and the nearest shops etc. are in Miramar. Miramar is OK and has a good bus service, but the main bus line from there doesn't go via Newtown.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Mgee View Post
    Number 11 bus runs from Seatoun via Newtown, see http://www.metlink.org.nz/ for the route map and timetables. I think Seatoun has less air traffic noise than Kilbirnie or Miramar, but in any case the airport pretty much closes for the night. Our friends live in Strathmore Park and have said that the noise is not too bad there -they get some noise but it's not too loud or constant. Althought Wellington airport is a fairly busy little airport, it's not exactly Heathrow... The runway approach from both directions is over water (Cook Strait and Wellington Harbour) so you're not going to get too many low-flying planes above Seatoun

Seatoun is fairly expensive, though, and the nearest shops etc. are in Miramar. Miramar is OK and has a good bus service, but the main bus line from there doesn't go via Newtown.
    Not quite right.....the 11 bus cuts through Miramar South and the bus stop is an easy walk from Mirmar Ave. (The shops)
    The 18 (Campus Connection) runs from Darlington Road to the hospital direct. The 44 from Strathmore also down Miramar Ave. to the hospital direct.

Seatoun has a fish and chip shop, doctors, two cafe's, a diary and 4 Square (local shop), a gym, akiddies clothes shop, a fashion shop (ladies clothes), a plumbers, several art studios, a greengrocers (where nobody goes) and a post office / general store. Strathmore (just through the tunnel) has a Hells Pizza, another 4 Square, another F&C, an Indian Takeaway and a pub (actually those in the know in Seatoun drink at the RSA or Footy club - cheap beer, pool, snooker and wide screen TV for sport!).

True enough the major shops (large supermarkets, DIY shops., Warehouse) are in Kilbirnie or Miramar both of which can be reached by bus or bike or walking (long walk with bags I admit) or a 3 minute car ride.

...and Seatoun is surround by.......water not trees. There are trees on Seatoun Heights but honestly if you are looking for a place without trees....Wellington isn't for you (actually come to think of it not many places in NZ are...maybe One Tree Hill in Auckland...that doesn't have too many )

Oh and airport noise....there really isn't any in Seatoun that would disturb you.....it's more the noise of the wind that you get
    Last edited by Wooly_Cow; 10th February 2011 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow View Post
    Not quite right.....the 11 bus cuts through Miramar South and the bus stop is an easy walk from Mirmar Ave. (The shops)
    The 18 (Campus Connection) runs from Darlington Road to the hospital direct. The 44 from Strathmore also down Miramar Ave. to the hospital direct.
    Eh??? I said the main bus line (i.e. number 2 which is by far the most frequent of all Miramar busses) doesn't go via Newtown and the hospital. I'm sure there are plenty of options if you're ready to walk part of the journey or change buses or take one of the less frequent buses.

Quote Originally Posted by Mgee View Post
    Eh??? I said the main bus line (i.e. number 2 which is by far the most frequent of all Miramar busses) doesn't go via Newtown and the hospital. I'm sure there are plenty of options if you're ready to walk part of the journey or change buses or take one of the less frequent buses.
    I was only trying to point out that if the OP wanted to live in Miramar and use buses to get to and from their place of work at the hospital, it is very possible. Your reply sort of suggested it would be difficult (change of buses).....and from the looks of it the 44 is every bit as frequent (and runs as early / late) as the 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow View Post
    I was only trying to point out that if the OP wanted to live in Miramar and use buses to get to and from their place of work at the hospital, it is very possible. Your reply sort of suggested it would be difficult (change of buses).....and from the looks of it the 44 is every bit as frequent (and runs as early / late) as the 2.
    Sorry mate, but now you're reading things from my post I didn't write.. As for the buses, for example between noon and 2 PM, 43/44 combined run every 30 minutes whereas nuber 2 runs every 15 minutes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast