Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help: Fishy stuff!

Question Help: Fishy stuff!

I'm mostly quite nicely settled in here in New Zealands in terms of food: I know how to use the local stuff and have been able to find some rarer ingredients from ethnic shops, so I'm able to cook pretty much everything I want to. Except fish.

I'm still a bit lost when it comes to choosing fish for different recipes -I've managed to find some websites that state what the fish is like and what it can be used for, but they don't tell whether it's good that way... I've managed to pan-fry tarakihi in butter with dill and lemon quite nicely, but still have no idea what foods I could do with an alfonsino or a leatherjacket... Since I think I'm not the only one who needs to re-lean what fish to use for different recipes, I was wondering if we could put together a thread about what fish is good for which type of cooking. (I think this is the way to go, as there are people from all over the world, so comparing NZ fish to your local fish "back home" doesn't necessarily help others).

I'll start: Tarakihi - nice pan fried.

Will be watching with interest as we are just starting, as a family, to 'get into' fish dishes. Our Pak'n'Save in Pukekohe gives a brief description of the fish and cooking techniques on the wet fish counter.

Hoki gets the thumbs up from our girls when made into mash-topped fish pie.

How on earth do you deal with Fish Heads though? I see people buying them by the bag load.

I've used lemon fish in curry as it doesn't fall apart when cooked.

Quote Originally Posted by norma View Post
    I've used lemon fish in curry as it doesn't fall apart when cooked.
    You do know that "lemon fish" is actually not a fish don't you?!!

Maori make soup from fish heads - probably use them in other recipes too.

Gurnard for my little ones, crumbed & baked

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    You do know that "lemon fish" is actually not a fish don't you?!!
    I have to correct my post!
    Though sharks have some more criteria in common with mammals than other fish do sharks are scientifically classified as fish.

Kahawai..very under rated fish...hot smoked it is great eating. Trevally smoke well too.
    Gurnard and snapper fry up well...good from chippy too normally.
    All the sharks eat well and have good firm fillets, Rig (lemonfish) and Elephant fish being the best I reckon. Blue cod is good, but I think over rated tastewise, Red cod is cheap..but needs care, or it can cook up mushy, if you freeze it then defrost, seems to have firmer texture...thats enough from me

Hoki - Beer battered and deep fried at home; can't get better I think - even snapper isn't as good!

Kingfish smoked on hot buttered toast is yum. Gurnard, blue cod and tarakihi my favourites - just sauted in butter and garlic. Don't like snapper although my husband loves it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast