Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sending excess luggage separately?

Question Sending excess luggage separately?

6 days to go and we are packing everything...as per emirates we are limited to 30 kg, unless we want to pay for the excess, which of course we would want to bypass given the price they are charging for same.

We were thinking of sending some excess items via regular/normal shipment (not a container but only some boxes containing mostly clothing).

We would want some advice on same? Will we be charged when the items get in NZ by customs or do we still benefit from exemptions as new immigrants. Some more details on the process, thanks

JM

Same exemptions, although you;ll either have to do a bit of runningn around with forms yourself, or pay through the nose for DHL to do it - I posted a thread on this back in November. Search for "DHL" and "tent".

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Same exemptions, although you;ll either have to do a bit of runningn around with forms yourself, or pay through the nose for DHL to do it - I posted a thread on this back in November. Search for "DHL" and "tent".
    Thanks Duncan!. Will do a look-up op on DHL/tent.

JM

We sent boxes out too...no problems, apart from the running around with DHL. Parcelforce got it through with no problems!!!!!

When we emigrated , activating our Visas, with Emirates we got double the baggage allowance.

Could be worth going back to them and asking if you're in the same situation.

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....highlight=tent

Note that I'm not saying to use DHL, but the actions for dealing with MAF and customs is going to be the same.
    Last edited by Duncan74; 10th February 2011 at 06:40 AM.

We found out that when we moved from Finland, using economy parcel post was by far cheaper than any excess baggage fees or any cargo companies' fees. Someone from the UK I know found out the same thing.

Our parcel was about 15 kgs, arrived in about 2,5 weeks and contained some clothes, shoes, kitchen utensils etc. The normal import rules (i.e. what is prohibited etc) do apply and you do need to fill in a customs declaration form/sticker. MAF had opened our parcel (presumably because we had some shoes in it and also the kitchen stuff might have had enought residual food smell to alert the MAF sniffer dogs), but otherwise it arrived fairly quickly and the contents were intact. There were no customs or other charges, but we did write something like "personal property of the recipient who is moving to live permanently in NZ" on the customs declaration form. On the outside the parcel looked a bit bashed, so I recommend using a sturdy box and maybe some extra tape to secure the corners.

For a more general point, Air NZ excess baggage is very cheap compared to the excess baggage shipping, although not relevant to the OP who's already got tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by benandclare View Post
    When we emigrated , activating our Visas, with Emirates we got double the baggage allowance.

Could be worth going back to them and asking if you're in the same situation.
    We got 50kg each when we came over in June (and used the lot!!!) but it was on a special Moving Planet deal. No harm in asking though.

Love Emirates though, my parents came out on them as well and didn't have a bad word to say about them.

Finally, I've decided to send some excess via cargo on the same flight we are taking. One query regarding the Unaccompanied Personal Baggage Declaration form, do i need to fill same when depositing the luggage at the cargo site or only when i arrive in AKL and go to customs NZ to collect same?

Thanks

JM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast